Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funky Fourth String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tom Neves, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Hi Guys,
    I wonder if any of you have had this problem?
    I have changed strings on my 58 P bass. (Maple neck)
    Put on a set of Pyramid Golds, love the strings but have a thuddy, (not ringing) sound coming from the E.
    Do you think the string is dead?
    I have the action set pretty low and was thinking maybe this is the cause. There is no apparent buzzing, just a real fast decay and sloppy tone. The other strings are just fine.
    Any thoughts?

2. sounds like the string is dead...
    a solution I found to usually work quite well is to loosen the string (best to unfasten it completely at the machinehead end), and bend it back and forth between fingers and thumbs all the way from the bridge to the nut.
    this puts some brightness back.
    (resettling the windings properly?)

i often have to do this after boiling strings.
    I started doing this after I noticed that when a string that's gone dead from normal playing is taken off then put back on it sounds brighter.

3. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Sounds like a defective string. Contact the company and get a replacement set. DR replaced my Lo-Rider stainless set due to dead E and A strings. Most manufacturers are willing to back up there product.

4. Thanks for the comments,
    I have sent Pyramid an email and will keep you guys posted through the forum.
    It would be so cool to get a replacemrnt string.
    The other strings are awsome!

5. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    You have a '58 P-bass?,I'd be willing to trade you my brand new P-bass for it!.