Funky Gospel?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Feb 11, 2004.

1. What is some good funky Gospel? I need to be lifted!!
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I really don't know any, though you may want to check out the blues brothers and the blues brothers 2000 soundtracks, there are some funky gospel tunes on them, and they might give you the leads you need to get some more. plus Duck Dunn is on bass whoo whoo! :p
  3. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    These are my favorites, in order, left to right, top to bottom. All are available at most record stores,,, etc.

Feel free to pm or email me if you want to know which selections I like most off each.

BTW - Purpose By Design, Pages of Life, and Donnie McClurkin Live In London are also available on DVD. All very well produced. I also just picked up Donnie McClurkin's "...Again", and Bishop Paul S. Morton's "Let It Rain" on DVD and they are both excellent.
  4. Thanks a ton! I will definately check some of those out.
  5. the Neville brothers made some pretty cool funky albums too (and are christian). I don't know about the Aaron Neville solo album (I mean I don't know if it's funky or not). Tommy Simms plays some great lines on The Neville Brothers latest album "Valence street".
  6. widjajar

Apr 21, 2003
    try this:
    I also like Yolanda Adams's live album called The Experience.
    I heard Andrew Gouche and the prayze connection has some good stuff too but I never get a chance to listen to them,c an anyone help?
  7. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

You sir, are correct. I have not been able to find that one on DVD. I have it on VHS tape, not DVD. I have Pages of Life, another older that I can't remember the name of, and his latest CD on DVD. The one I can't remember is loaned out or I'd just look at the cover and tell you the name.

8. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    There are a couple of albums with Voices of East Harlem from the mid -70's that feature both Chuck Rainey and Jerry Jemmot. Extremely funky!
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Mighty Clouds Of Joy.

I burned an LP for a friend at work...I was very surprised by these guys!
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Clint Brown - I Come To Praise Him, Sunrise, Have a Little Talk With Jesus...just about anything by Clint is funky

Brownsville Revival - Enemies Camp. This one has a 1/16 note fingerstyle funk to it very much like Rocco Prestia of Tower of Power.

Those are just a few of many funky praise songs I know. Feel free to shoot me a pm or email and ill send ya a more detailed list when I have some time.
  11. sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    Robert Randolph is very funky, and although his band may not be all too gospel, "The Word" is. theyre one of his side groups with medeski on keyboards.
  12. I just got some of this, and I haven't had a smile this big in a long time. These guys are amazing. Obviously, the singer is just putting it all out there on the line. He's like a happy Bobby Blue Bland.
  13. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Check out Robert Randolph's live at the wetlands CD, its feels like church everytime i listen to it
  14. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Bump for some more suggestions please!
  15. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Almost forgot my current favorite: Salvador - Worship Live

If Josh Gonzales' bass lines on Lord I Come Before You and especially, God People, don't qualify as funky, i don't know what does.
  16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Funky Gospel?! Well, any 'urban' gospel record will most surely be a funky one. Kirk Franklin's last record was pretty funky. I play it everyday just to get my groove on! Best bet would be to get the Wow Gospel compilation series. They put one out every year and it features just about the who's who in urban gospel (make sure it is the urban styled one as they do put out a tamer christian/praise styled disc as well). I love gospel music but it has to be funky!
  17. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

Can't believe I didn't already suggest that. Dohh! Good call, DWB!

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

19. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Check out Fred Hammond and Gary Oliver. There's also a CD called Men Of Gospel that has various Gospel artists on it.