funky hip hop?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    anyone know any funky hip-hop tunes? i'm starting a funk hip-hop band and i'm looking for material to cover.

basically i have a bunch of de la soul, outkast, black eyed peas, etc.... all my hip hop albums have like one funky ass song that makes your face sour up and go uuh! while the rest are kinda lame imo.

anyone know any hip hop tracks that are moderatly to super funky?
  2. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Look into bands like A Tribe Called Quest and Arrested Development.
  3. spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    old school cool?
    try rapper's delight
    real funky bass line (samples from good times by Chic)
    and the rhymes are hilarious
  4. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Or you could go further into funk and less into hip hop and go straight to Parliament's work.
  5. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
  6. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    hey if i had the recources to pull off p-funk.....i would. they are a pretty sophisticated orchestra of funk.

i'm going for the hip-hop because it's very popular right now and 1% of hip-hop songs are really funky......which is the 1% i want to be in. plus it wouldn't be to hard to organize and pull of that type of band quickly.
  7. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    is that the band? any specific track?
  8. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    you should check out the Roots as well.

9. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I second that.
  10. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Sure, you don't have like 10 people and a horn section to pull off actual P-funk covers, but you could draw influence from their work. That's all I was really suggesting anyway.
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Go out and get yourself

"I wish My brother George Was Here" by Del Tha Funkee Homosapien

It's his first album, released it when he was ~18, It is seriously funky, one of the funkiest hip hop albums I can think of, straight out of P-funk university. This album is right up your ally bayou, you'll dig it.

Also, 'The Chronic' by Dr. Dre, and heck the whole G-funk scene, is very bass heavy booty shaking fonk, unfortunately the lyrical content leaves much to be desired. But, there is nothing wrong with covering the music and changing the lyrics ;)

Outkast have some definitely funky tracks, they are quite diverse with their sound and really have some kicking tunes, but yeah, they aren't very consistent.

Beastie Boy's 'pauls boutique' is pretty funky too.

Tribe is good but it's not really the type of funk you're down with I think, however, Q-tip's Solo endeavor "amplified" is a particularly fresh and funky album.

On Victor Wooten's 'live in america' disc, MC divinity spits on a couple tracks, and that's some funky stuff, I get shivers when she starts her verse.

A lot of early 90s rap and hip hop was heavily rooted in that certain funky vibe that you might be after, But my suggestion to you, there is A LOT of hip hop out there, and almost all of it grooves something mean. It might not be out of your suit dirty funk, but that doesn't mean you can't take some ideas from it and make it funky now ;)
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    As soon as I saw the topic, I thought "The Roots". Check 'em out.
  13. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Go get Sugarhill Gang's Greatest Hits, Doug Wimbish kills!!!!! If you learn this CD, you'll know how to play EVERY other hip hop song. Trust me on this. ;) Also get Snoop's "Doggystyle", Rapheal Sadiq did a great job on this one.
  14. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
  15. Yup...
    Del, the Roots, Digable Planets, and Tony Toni Tone. Also, on more of an R&B tip, try some early Maxwell.

Good stuff.
  16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    While Maxwell isn't rap, or even hip hop, his first album "Urban Hang Suite" is very musician-oriented (compared to his other albums) and is VERY funky. The bassline on 'Dancewitme' just kills!

BTW, I love Maxwell ;)
  17. Exactly the reason I mentionned him. Bravo.

18. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah it is a cool hip hop though. :bag: