Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funky hissing sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Snarf, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    My Nemesis 1x15, 200 watt combo is making a pronounced hissing noise when I turn up the master volume beyond 9 o'clock. It makes no such noise just turning up the gain (which is at about 4 o'clock at this point) or the volume on any of my basses. Should I get the tweeter replaced or something?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the tweeter may just be reproducing the noisy signal the amp is sending it. some amps tend to be noisy like that, but i doubt it should be all that loud. see if you can compare it to a new nemisis in the store. calling eden wouldnt hurt either. they're usually helpful on the phone.

3. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    You may just find it is "white noise" which is always there, its just now you've turned the volume up your noticing it.

Like Ivan said compare with another amp, but i wouldn't be surprised if it is totally normal.

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the replies. The problem with comparing my amp to other Nemsis amps is that I've got the only one in the area. I live in western Connecticut, which is basically just wilderness.

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I get the same thing fairly frequently. Might I ask what kind of bass you have? On my ESP I managed to kill it by rolling back the active EQ, especially on the high band.

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    It's most pronouced on my Fender precision, but I also play a fretless jazz and an active Galveston six string.