Funky little chords

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by chris h, Jun 18, 2002.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I have recently been messing about with shrill chords on my 4 string jazz bass (sorry, a bit normal!) after watching a dodgy john pattatucci instruction video (he is one scary bloke - it has drummer extroadanaire Dave Weckl on it though - what a legend.) Most of the time i like playing a 5th of the fretted note on the d string above the 12th fret, normally. I am, however, interested to learn more about playing chords on the bass, for use as fills. Ever tried chords through a mu-tron III? in high mode?

P.s does anyone know of any good drumming forums for my dopey smelly bro (typical drummer, lol)?

P.p.s I am new to this forum and think it is excellent. I especially like looking at peoples profiles. any bands in oxfordshire please get in touch via e-mail or buddy list!

2. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    a chord is 3 or more notes at the same time..just playing a fifth is exactly that...playing fifths. you can try typical "bar" chords or "power" chords, as guitar players (this is playing a root, fifth, and octave, you see this alot in punk rock and things like that, but most real musicians dont use bar chords) sometimes do. a normal chord has a 3rd in it, giving it a tonality, like major or minor. if you want to play chords correctly to match melodies, you should try looking at theory texts first.
  3. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Thanks steve. I have recently taken your advice and purchased a 'Bass chords' book and I am having a lot of fun with it!

Thanks again,
  4. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    argh! couldn't you choose another name?
  5. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    HA HA Bad luch CHRIS H. Nice name though! I wonder if we share the same equipment too! Let me check your profile...
  6. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
  7. just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    Actually barre chords aren't like power chords at all. Well, they do have the root fifth and an octave, but they also have other notes. And from your barre chords you can play a lot your minors or sevenths just by lifting a finger or two.

Unless of course he happens to be talking about something else.

Actually, power chords are using a lot in punk and in rock stuff, but you can also see it in jazz and blues-y type stuff sometimes. I wouldn't say 'real musicians' don't use them.

I don't play chords on bass a lot, just when I'm messing around. I'm not in a band yet (I've been playing about 6 months I guess,still learning a lot I suppose.), so I don't have a guitarist to mess around with them. But something I'll just play a couple notes higher up on the neck and like how it sounds. I haven't really went into a lot of theory with it, just like a root and a fifth or a third or something. They can be pretty though.
  8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    chris h - check out the libster for some great lessons, theory, etc.

Aside from this site, of course :D , it is the most useful site I have ever seen.
  9. Chudweiser

Jul 5, 2002
    you might want to consider upper-structure voicings to play with. I play 4 string and I occasionally comp. at a maximum, you have 4 notes to work with...choose them well. if you want a dominant #9 sound, for example, forget the root, just play the 3rd on the A-string, the 7th on the D-string, and the #9 on the G-string. for a minor chord, play the minor 3rd on the A-string, the 7th on the D-string, and the 9th on the G-string. The possibilities are endless...