Funky looking fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fleabee, Feb 26, 2006.

1. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    wow, I checked out the video - sounds like an old Kramer - 13lbs - too much and if you read the FAQ it sounds like it could be dangerous - rip the carpet, maim the dog, get picked up by the NSA/TSA - yikes - certainly not wowed by it - one man's opinion.
  2. i think the least they could have done was get a decent bass player for the ad..kinda looked like a guitarist that picked up the bass that day and recorded it
  3. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    That thing hurts.
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Everyone knows Phaedrus eventually went insane..
  5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Why not aluminum? Would that be too unstable for this? has some aluminum flat bar for $13 for a 48" length of .375" x 2". It would also only be about 4 lbs. This is interesting.
  6. Uh...."Redefining "Big Balls"".....uh..........
    "Sleek Monolithic Compact Design" Isnt' that a contradiction in terms?

And, yes; time for a different video with using a bass player this time...
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Why not get a real fretless bass that won't kill your back?
  8. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Didn't Steinberger have a fretless at one time? 4 lbs. or something? Made of carbon fiber? :meh:
  9. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Probably. But it also cost close to $2k.
  10. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I agree. I don't understand it when it weighs 3+ lbs more than the average bass. Now, at 4 lbs, that may be entirely different. I guess a steinberger spirit would fit the bill as well (< $300).
  11. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
  12. as a welder/fabricator i can tell you that for the weight issue it would be perfect.

On the other hand, aluminum dilated/retract more and also diferently then plain steel. I guess they should have used other alloys such as the ones used in Aerospace (excluding aluminum of course)

Beryllium would be a good choice, appart from the price. Beryllium is lightweight, rigid, corrosion-resistant, steel-gray metal. Used as aerospace structural material, and as moderators and reflectors in nuclear reactors. Alloyed with Copper (Cu) for use in springs and electrical contacts.
  13. I agree...i don't see anything "re-defining" at all in that bass. you can just get an essex fretless and pop an EMG pup in there, and you can have that same sound.
  14. steve21

steve21 Banned

Dudes.... I played that bass.

Most uncomfortable thing ever, the entire time you think the thing is gonna fall and break, and when it doesn't the crappy tone makes you wanna put it down.
  15. That looks like a piece of junk, and it sounds worse than it looks.
  16. steve21

steve21 Banned

Hey, the ONLY dealer these guys have is the music place down the street from my dad's office.