Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funky new synth effects....!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, May 13, 2002.

1. This Digitech looks cool...digital and all but could be great? These boxes are CHEAP; $79 I saw it advertised for. http://www.digitech.com/products/synthwah.htm Filters are too much fun for me....I should really stop, not like I need another. So many new synth emulators out there, I love it. I am going to hunt down a few more and post them here.

[​IMG]

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Looks awesome, so if it sounds good I'll get one :)

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    A Digitech for $79.00?!? Am I crazy or is that a hell of deal?

I'd be interested to see how it sounds with bass and if it retains the low frequencies better than the DOD FX2B Envelope Filter. If it allows the bass to cut through, it's probably a great deal. I've always liked Digitech's stuff.

Memo to self: Don't do it. If you buy any more, you'll run out of space to put the damn things!

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Hmmm... so do I buy this or the new Ibanez synth? :D

5. I have no problems with that... :D

6. argh.. a BOSS knockoff

7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Geez, I hope not. The BOSS one tracks like a train with no wheels and is WAAAAY overpriced for what it does.

8. well at least this ones the right price! I ma sure it is in a similar vein but digitechs stuff seems to be somewhat quality-orientated; I'm sure it's not just a knock off. It has a very practical interface. I'd buy it over the Boss.

9. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I haven't seen this one. I want to check out the new Ibanez one. It has roughly the same list price as this.

The BOSS had good sounds it just couldn't track worth (bleep :eek: ) and I try to play ultra-clean.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sub - If you run across one, make it a point to try out the Akai Deep Impact. I've only had mine for a week and haven't had much time to fool with the parameters. But the sounds I have been able to program in are mucho impressive, it tracks my B, and responds to playing dynamics. Its true bypass is a nice touch and the 4 oscillators put out good analog synth sounds.

Bass Player gave it their highest rating for sound and Steve Lawson's "Guitar Magazine" review gave it his highest sound rating and called it "stunning."

It's not as cheap as others but it doesn't sound cheap either, nor is it built like a candy box.

11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I guess I should have specified......The BOSS would track down to B if you played relatively slow, but would get lost on faster runs. How does the Akai track on faster stuff?

12. All these new synths are sort off a fluffy indulgence for me because I already own THE king-God bass synth of all time...The Korg G5. It has 9 preset locations and a foot controller to vary the sensitivity. i am always interested in any simple fun effect that puts a cool new swing on an old idea. that Ibanez is very cool IMO, probaly analog (despite what BF says) with no tracking hassles. the Digitech seems nifty because it will most likely cop thgose crisp rippely digital type Moog emulations. The Boss and the Akai have very similar sounds to my Korg but don't hold a candle to it's flexibility. The EH Bass micro synth is probably the s**t too but you'd have to ask Mr. Salt about that one...

[​IMG]

13. rickbass

It really depends on how you have the parameters set up. The particular sound you're using and how you set the envelope opening/closing seems to make the big difference. But that's fair to me. It won't sound like some cheap, "chirpy", digital crap that Ibanez and Electro-Harmonix have made with very little flexibility.

Playing around with the knobs, I was surprisedd by how well the Akai kept up with some slap stuff and double-plucks I tried with it. With some settings, it can't keep up with faster techniques I've used. But it does a good job of staying on course with the B.

I'd like to have had the opportunity to try the Korg G5 Sub is talking about. It seems like it shouldn't have been discontinued unless the high price was killing sales.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Electro-Harmonix makes cheap chirpy digital crap?!?!:confused:

15. benevan

benevan

May 2, 2002
    Memphis

They at least make cheap chirpy analog crap. Not sure how much digital stuff they produce.

EH designs are good, some even great, but they use crap for components, hence the cheap price tags.

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I just said that because they make such a big deal about being analog. Agreed that some components are cheap, but they get some of the coolest sounds out of them.

17. rickbass

They made a couple of "classics" because the sounds were what people cut their teeth on when the effects market was relatively small. And a few actually sounded cool.

I have friends who used to work at St. Louis Music who was/is(?) a distributor for EH and they brought home all the EH stuff they wanted.

Most of it was reconstituted beer cans, IMO, and sounded godawful.

If you dig it, that's all that really matters.

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Geez, you guys can be a humorless lot! I was joking about the digital comment. Clearly, the sou nd of the various boxes is quite subjective.

19. Don't make me get Mr. Qualtzski to come in here, he's not one for taking names.