Funky Sound

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by highabuser, Nov 9, 2000.

1. highabuser

Nov 9, 2000
    I recently started playing in a band who do a certain amount of funk and disco in the set.

As my sound has always been pretty much set up for rock bass how should I set my EQ (on guitar and amp) and what effects should I use to get a good funk/disco slap sound.

I play a Musicman bass through an Ampeg svt 3 amp

Is the secret to a good sound all in the technique or will effects help
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You don't need any effects for slapping although some players like compression to control the dynamic range a little.

As far as EQ, the most common settings are reducing the mids and boosting lows and highs compared to your usual. You could do this right on your MusicMan if you don't already have the EQ controls maxed out or you could preset the graphic on your Ampeg and kick it in and out with a footswitch.

The "secret" to a good sound is good MUTING. As you might expect slapping makes for a lot of fret buzz and general clatter because of the strings hitting the fingerboard pretty hard. To get the spaces betwen the notes you need to be able to mute the strings, most players use the palm of their slapping hand to do this.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm not an advocate of cutting the mids...especially in Funk(or what I call Funk).
    "Disco" bass, in particular, is pretty bright(at least that's how I remember "it"). :D

As far as muting while slapping: I use my fretting hand almost exclusively to mute the extraneous "noise"; BTW, that "noiz" is SOMETIMES a good/desirable thing.

Too, I'd opt for technique over effects...any day!
    Compression? Yecchhhhhh!
    (That's for Chris S!). :D
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sounds about right to me, Jim:D except...I use both hands for muting, you can get some pretty interesting "wounded animal" types of sounds by choking (the bass) with your palm. Seriously. No chicken jokes please.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, you're right(of course). I do use BOTH hands for muting when paying finger funk...hold on-
    I'm not using the thumping hand(my right)as a mute when playing slap. I'm gettin' a little bit of a bounce off the strings.
    Now I have noticed the part of my thumb "tangent" to my palm is hitting the "E" string as I attempt those machine-gun flams that I'm forever playing in music stores. :D
  6. highabuser

Nov 9, 2000
    Thanks for the replies guy's

Back to the practicing to polish up my technique then.