1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Funky stuff - four to five piece band.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Chunk-O-Funk, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Looking for some recommendations for some Funk tunes for a four to five piece band for an audition of sorts.

They weren't too specific when I asked what genera of Funk, but every tune I have done in the past were more of the R&B style and everyone of them has a horn part that is pretty dominate. Some of these tunes can be done without the horns, especially when a keyboardist is hired, but I like to find a few we can do without a strong horn line or one that won't be missed or possibly no horns at all.

ps.
    I am in the process of checking out the Funk-101 thread.
    Very cool. :bassist:

Also, I believe he may be going for the more popular, danceable stuff. He mentioned Luther Vandross.

Thanks!
    Any suggestions will be helpful.

2. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    Download the album Flood by the Headhunters.

3. Anyone else?

4. They say I`m Different or Nasty Gal by Betty Davis...Specifically the tracks: Dedicated to the press, and F.U.N.K. (Both off of Nasty Gal
    Funk Odyssy by jamiroquai
    Headhunters or Manchild by Herbie Hancock
    Parliaments greatest hits by Parliament (go figure)
    any record by Funkedlic
    anything by The Meters
    Hopefully those`ll help :D
    Peace :bassist:

5. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Lettuce.

6. Silaxian

Silaxian

Dec 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    6's & 7's by Follow For Now (from the CD of the same title), this band is long gone but you can probably still buy a copy of the CD on Amazon