Funky Time!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by peladox, Feb 2, 2006.

1. wah wah

28 vote(s)
  2. auto wah wah

11 vote(s)
  3. envelope filter

64 vote(s)
  1. peladox

Aug 3, 2004
    hey dudeeeeeeees, if you play bass im pretty sure that sometimes you play some funk, along or with your band you do a little funky jamm! what kind of effect do you preffer or use for funk?, when i play funk i slap all the time, but i want to get an effect what do you recomend?
  2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'm about as funky as Ben Stein.
  3. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    I don't really use effects with slap. Envelope's funky, but its not that great for slap in my experience.

...what seperates auto wah wah from envelope?...
  4. autowahs usually wah at a fixed rate, while envelope filters work off the signal it recieves...personally, i like all three in one, like the boss AW-3
  5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada

HAHA! thats a good one.
  6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Wah for funk...

I use my envelope filters for lead lines, mainly... color..

what about phaser? Or Flange?
  7. jujube_2a

Jan 18, 2006
    Corsica, France
    I prefer envelope filter than wah/auto wah.
    It give you that fat, thick and rich sound you can't get from classic/auto wah, which is essential to funk music!
  8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Every auto-wah I have ever used/seen was also an envelope filter. You can certainly use an LFO to control a wah, but I don't think there are many commercially-available pedals that do that. Wah is a type of filter. Maybe some people think of an auto filter as just a pure low-pass filter like the classic synth sound, but filter is a pretty broad term that covers a variety of types of frequency changes.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Envelope filter is probably the most useful "funk" effect FOR ME. Try them out, see what you can use yourself in a jam situation. You and I think differently, play differently through different gear. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa.