Funky Woods?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by berklee46, Mar 19, 2002.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I'm getting ready to pick a top for a Curbow bass and am looking for ideas & examples of some really funky stuff.
    I've seen Jeffs beautiful Spalted Sadowsky, but have heard that Spalt can be a bit more mellow sounding than Maple, because of it's porous-ness.

I know this has been done on some other threads, but I haven't found a thread that combines a bunch of unique, original looking woods...Burr Madrone, Spalted Maple, Burled Maple, Buckeye Burl....Whatever you've got, I'd love to see it!
  2. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    whooooooo buckeye burl....*drool* mrmmm spalted maple *drool* i'm curently having a bass built with spalted maple. oh i cant wait...
  3. Zebra wood is the most beuatiful wood that exsists. PERIOD!
  4. Spalted maple is tyoically "softer", so perhaps it is more mellow sounding. I think that for a crazy top, burls and spalts look the most dramatic. Though I have a buddy who thinks that figured woods look too busy, I think they look great. Here is my suggestion...burled maple.

Adrian's MTD 635 has some really crazy spalted maple. That would make a really unbelievable bass (check out Adrian's website!!).

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Here's some buckeye burl for ya:D
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    bubinga? you can get some cool figuring on it, and i LOVE how it sounds.

(Couldn't find a good example on a bass relatively quickly, so here's a picture with one of those other things they make out of wood)

7. Here's some nicely figured bubinga:

8. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Buckeye burl:

Another one:

Macassar ebony:

More Macassar ebony:

9. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Maple burl (spalted too):

10. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Thanks for the links and photos. Definitely some great ideas....So far I think the Burled Maple like the Elrick 5 string may be the way to go, but I'm still open to suggestions!

Thanks again
  11. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

i really dig that burl black poplar that jd uses on his prodigy le...oh dear lord....RoXOr! hmm....i wonder what it's tonal properties are...
  12. Here's Spalted and Flamed Maple:
    The top is very thin - I cannot imagine it affecting the tone.

Quilted Maple:

And Buckeye Burl (Heavy Burl):

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Wow. All of these basses have really been a treat for the eyes!

I just talked to Greg about my 8 string fretless, and what was once going to be a Curbow neck on a Peavey body is now going to be a custom prototype carved top retro! Burled Elm over mahogany. :eek:

Scott-I mentioned your wood thread to him, and he said that he has a nice piece of Spalted maple on ebay right now that he is bidding on (I think that's what he said).

On the Int'l Petites, the top is 3/4" and the back is 1" thick. So, his tops aren't thin like a lot of pretty basses-- They definitely have an impact on the tone. Just something to consider.

If I were you, I'd shoot Greg an email with links, or pics of what you like, and then talk to him about what to mate it with for the tone you want. He can get some pretty astounding pieces of wood. He kinda surprised me with the burled elm. I'm sure he can lay his hands on some other pretty stuff. The fully carved top adds a new dimension to the creation of the body, so before you get your heart set on anything, talk to him to see what he thinks.
  14. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Whatever you get, may I suggest an ash core? If you're going to be recording, ash rules!! Be mindful of the fact that the softer exotic woods could affect your tone, especially on the lowend, in the studio.
  15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

C'mon, Tracy, leave my top that D. Pushic is working on out of this. ;)
    [​IMG] gets some outrageous stuff in. Nice people to deal with, IME. Currently, two woods they are offering that seem to be just the nutz, visually, and are also very musical are rare cocuswood and snakewood fingerboards. I wanted a snakewood fretboard, but decent stuff like this (below) wasn't available at the time, even though I was willing to pay a couple hundred for a board.

Cocuswood -

Snakewood fretboards -

IME, you can find outrageous stuff that is too hot for wood dealers to post on their websites by phoning them and asking about newly arrived exotics they have received which would work for a bass. That's how I ended up with fiddleback mirindiba for my fretboard.

Ebay offers some nice woods. Here's some spalted maple "luthier's" wood that is currently up for bids...can you say "bookmatch?"
  16. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    It's like an impressionist painting!!!! *drool*
  17. That is one of the most unusual and beautiful pieces of buckeye I have ever seen!
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I guess spalted maple and buckeye burl are about my favorites.

3rd place would be redwood burl.:)