funky's NAMM adventure, Day 1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Well, I had a good day at NAMM. Here are the photos:
    They're Page 5 and 6--Page 3 and 4 are from a gig I did a couple weeks ago.

Anyhow, the hip thing seems to be natural finished basses--last year, things were pretty colourful. I guess that the glut of new and talented builders has upped the ante for beautiful woods. There was just some unbelievable stuff.

Also popular are lightweight amps. I heard the Thunderfunks and was very impressed. On that note, Accugroove has released cabs with Neodymium speakers. Their single 12 cab is now around 45 pounds, and the Whappo Jr. 212 is around 75!! Another cool thing they offer now is switchable impedance. So you can choose either 8 ohms or 4 ohms via a switch on the rear panel. I loved how the stuff sounded too.

Although it looks pretty daunting, Stewart McK didn't seem to have a problem getting around the Adler 11 string.

Most of the other gear pictures speak for themselves. In terms of playing, there was a lot of awesome stuff going on. I attended performances by Steve Lawson and Michael Manring, and both times, they were hampered by people in neighbouring booths. Steve's neighbour at Modulus was some shredder guy who looked pretty cool, but wasn't a very good guitar player. Michael was interrupted by some band playing covers. Actually, Michael joined in when the band played a Beatles tune, and it was probably the best that band has ever sounded. Both of those guys took it in good humour though, and they ripped it up. Manring played for a full hour after some of his fans convinced the band next door to take a break. Steve's looping set at Modulus was pretty cool, but that shredder guy was sure there for a long time.

Dominique DiPiazza was seen at Fodera/Epifani. Wow. That guy has some serious music going on.

Another surprise was a 12 year old kid at MTD. I saw Mike showing a bass to this young man and I thought it was sort of cute. As I looked away, the kid busted out "Donna Lee"! I wish I had gotten this guy's name (I'm sure someone did); turns out he's been playing for three years. A very polite and friendly kid too. Wow.

Anyhow, that's it for now. I'll probably be back Saturday.
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Very nice thanx for sharing you lucky bass-tard.
  3. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    Thanks funky for the beautiful pics, I sure was hoping that someone would post something about the show, now I can sleep tonight. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.
  4. Minimaul

Jun 22, 2003
    Wow. That carvin looks awesome.

I've been thinkin' about getting one, but dang. That's nice. Might have to change the color I wanted :0
  5. BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    Here is the 12 year old Joshua that Funky Carnivor spoke of...

6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    thank you so much.

i love NAMM pics.

the best looker for me could be the conklin anniversay 4 strings or the Wilkins superjazzes.

i completely DISlike the new Warwick design.
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002

Oh man, that looks hilarious! Especially with the perspective, the headstock looks as big as the body! :D I'd love to hear it.
  8. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i love this Fender:

Fender® Mike Dirnt Precision Bass®

Body: Ash ('51 Style Slab Body but with '55 Style Arm Contour and Pickguard)

Neck: Maple, Thick C-Shape Modeled After Mike’s Original ’69 P Bass
    (Lite Tint Satin Polyurethane Finish)

Fingerboard: Rosewood
    No. of Frets: 20 Medium Jumbo Frets
    Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)
    Width @ Nut: 1.590

Hardware: Chrome
    Bridge: Bad Ass II® Top Load

Pickups: Custom Shop '59
    Precision Bass Pickup

Controls: Volume, Tone

Colors: 2-Tone Sunburst (303), Black (306), Vintage White (341)

are there some in white at NAMM? i would love to see pics.
  9. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks for posting the pics! What's this Zon bass all about?

10. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I remember hearing or reading that the Zon pictured above with Michael Manring was a special custom one-off, possibly a travel bass. He's had that bass for a number of years and I've never seen another Zon like it in my travels.
  11. Hey Funky, nice pics!!

I saw a Zon just like that on Ebay recently. I didn't find out how much it went for... Michael usually says something along the lines that although that's an odd-looking bass, it's actually the most normal (functioning) of all his basses.
  12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm glad that you got to see Dominique. I think that I'll go next year just to see him.

How did you like the new Epifani amp?
  13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Chris & Brian have been developing a new 3 band pre these past few months. It's the internal pre in most of the newer Benaventes (I'm upgrading my 51 after NAMM). He just put one in a fancy wood box to drag along to NAMM... There seems to be a lot of interest in it, maybe he'll add it to his line.

Great photos Jerome! Thanks
  14. a Conklin single cut? oh s**t! :eek:

nice pics btw :)
  15. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    What's up with the deep cutaway fretless Zon that Manring is playing? It looks like it has tuning gears on both ends of the bass? Are the strings locked down at the headstock or something? That's not a standard Zon model is it?
    Sooo many questions....
  16. The purple bass is the Zon Vinny. Joe Zon said that you could order one from the factory.

Michael's other bass is the infamous Hyperbass. It has Bass XTenders on all four strings, and then levers on the bridge that change the pitch of the strings. Pretty amazing.
  17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

Damn!! I want it!! I wonder if it belongs to anyone or if it was something Bill made for NAMM????

18. Hey, does anyone have any videos of players at NAMM?

I am always fascinated how good those people are.
  19. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Thanks Funky! Awesome Pics! Requesting pics from the F Bass Booth. Would love to see what George Furlenetto cooked up for NAMM.

What's that Epifani head? Is that new? Or is it a Pre?
  20. Yeah, it's part of Epifani's new Ultralite Amplifier Series. I think there are two versions--there might be some info at They sound really nice.

I saw somebody taking video of the Manring performance. Hopefully he is a TB member.