Funniest quotes of bassplayers about themselves

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Blazer, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    "Kit Lambert (the Who's manager) walked into the studio one day and said. 'I can feel the bass but I can't hear the damn bass, turn the treble on that thing up.' So we kept cranking the treble on my amplifier up until I sounded like Duane Eddy, but Kit was right, with the bass so prominetly in the mix we sure as hell stood out from all of the other bands at the time. And it helped me create my own sound and style." - The great Late John Entwistle on the recording of "My generation"

"Meeting Jaco, oh yeah that was cool. he was very friendly and a very competitive jammer. He'd dare me to play some Jazz standards obviously not knowing of my Jazz background as an upright player, he'd say 'Play some Mingus.' and I'd do so leaving him dumbfounded. I was one of the very few people who'd achieved leaving him dumbfounded. He later told me that my lead bass playing with Cream and on my solo albums inspired him to do what he eventually became such a master in doing, needless to say I was honored deeply about that." - Jack Bruce

"It's kind of funny how my playing has inspired people to go beyond it. For example I went to a performance of Chick Corea's accoustic band and John Pattitucci was playing 16/8'th notes on his double bass. Afterwards he came walking up to me and said 'Sting, what an honor to meet you. You've been such an influence on my playing, all the space you leave.' and I went 'Really, well I couldn't tell from watching you play.' (laughs)" - Sting
  2. Great post Blazer! Interesting reading. :)
  3. One from the Primus DVD...

"So, this lady once came up to me and said 'It must be awesome to be you Les' and well, to tell you the truth, I never really thought about it, but now that I do, it is pretty awesome to be me" - Les Claypool
  4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    "I'm a bass player, I like doing the same thing over and over again!" - Tony Levin
  5. swedebasist

Sep 19, 2004
    This one rules (taken from an interview with Jaco around 1980):

Interviewer: So, where do you think the future of music is going from here?
    Jaco: Well tomorrow I'm getting on a plane down to Florida *lol* :D

Maybe a bit off-topic but what the :)
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That was great!
    This one involves Gene Simmons:
    Kid: "You're my main influence as a bassist."
    Gene: "Kid, you need to get some lessons, if I'm your main influence!"
  7. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
  8. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    "when I joined the James Brown band I was playing this silvertone guitar fitted with four bass strings, I put up with that until Mr. Brown walked up to me and said: 'Son, now I say son, you can't be playing in the James Brown band playing that ruler on a cornflake box why don't you and I go out there and buy you some proper equipment?' to which I said 'Sure man' And then Mr. Brown went 'Dou you have anything in mind on what kind of instruments you want to have?' and I went 'One of them Fender Jazzbasses with the diamond in the fretboard and one of them big Ampeg Bass amps that look like big refrigderators.' which caused Mr. Brown to smile and say 'Boy I like you, you sure have a good attitude about what kind of gear you wanna have, now let's go and buy it for you shall we?' " - Bootsy Collins
  9. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Don't be an ignoramos like me (on music theory)

"I'm really slack," he laughs. "I don't practice; I'm not someone who can meticulously work on something every day. I'll do it only if I feel inspired or if I need to play.
    ---Staurt Zender

Bass players, generally have the biggest penises in a band.
    ---Les Claypool
  10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    D, the key of Morphine - Mark Sandman
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    "He wasn't a bad kid, he was just determined to do wrong." - James Brown on a young Boosty Collins.
  12. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands

And Bootsy's reply...

"The reason why I left James Brown was because of all the things happeneing, Jimi Hendrix was happening, Sly and the family stone were happening, the whole summer of love thing was happening and I wanted to be a part of that, I too wanted to be wild on stage and wear colorful clothes, to get out of the strict three piece suit that Mr. Brown had me wear and be crazy. That's why I left the James Brown band." - Bootsy Collins
  13. "I wanted to do something I was really good at, but since there was no real market for masturbation, I had to fall back on my bass playing abilities" - Les Claypool
  14. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)

Speaking of suits....

"To tell you the truth, we were a bunch of trifling dudes, and we were sick of wearing those suits." - Billy "Bass" Nelson, Funkadelic's first bassist on why The Funkadelics were formed. The Parliaments started out as a doo wop group, before George Clinton discovered the "Bomb".
  15. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    "I always feel very uncomfortable when I'm put in the category of such innovators as James Jamerson or Jaco Pastorius, because there are people out there who play my stuff better than I do!"

- Rocco Prestia

"Anything....I can play virtually anything"

- Nickthebassist
  16. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    "We're very lucky in the band in that we have two visionaries, David and Nigel, they're like poets, like Shelley and Byron. They're two distinct types of visionaries, it's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water."

- Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap
  17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    "...I was playing bass before there was electricity..." - Milt Hinton
  18. "Back in the early days, I wanted to make a living doing what I did best. But since there is no real market for masturbating, I had to fall back on my bass playing abilities." - Les Claypool
  19. Already posted it...but yours sounds closer to the exactness of the quote...I just barely remembered that one.