Funnily enough, I like the DiMarzio

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Flatwound, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Got a P bass recently, and the seller said it was all original except the pickup, which had been replaced (apparently a looooong time ago) with a DiMarzio Model P. The bass is prolly a '78, and the pickups may be about the same vintage, since they had the Patent Applied For sticker.

So anyway, I had heard that the Model P might be a bit brash or aggressive for those who like the "regular" P tone. Not so, at least in this case. Sounds very P-ish in fact. Pretty loud, but still has those nifty mids I expect from a Precision.

I figured that when I got the bass, I might change it out for a Fender Original '62, an Antiquity, or the like, but now that I've played it, I have no such plans.
  2. I get plenty of mids from my DiMarzio DP146 Will Power Middle combined with TI flats. Except for the typical Fender dead spot, I get lots of sustain (and no thump).

The DiMarzio is dead quiet, and the 4-wire connection scheme makes series/parallel wiring very easy. I have a Duncan Vintage P waiting to go into this bass, but am dragging my feet about getting rid of the DiMarzio.
  3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    I've used both the DiMarzio P and the Duncan Vintage P in my 76 P Bass, and I like both. I would choose the DiMarzio for rock because it's hotter and more aggressive, and very growly with swamp ash. The Duncan is thinner but more vintage sounding (hence the name :rolleyes: ).

Bruce, if you have an alder P the Vintage will probably sound better and thicker than it does in my ash. (wait, that doesn't sound right... ) I also have a Quarter Pounder I was using on a throwaway frankenbass and I'm going to try that in the ash P next. That oughtta thicken it up! Bottom line is, nobody does mids like Duncan, it's like having that Ampeg grind without the Ampig. Go for it!
  4. I have a 2002 MIM P with alder body and TI Flats. The current pickup is the DP146, previous was the Duncan SPB-2 (hot for P), and the original was the MIM P.

I sold the SPB-2 because I didn't like the way-hot mids you describe. That's not my sound. I can get that from cranking the Mids on my SWR IOD way up. Yuck.

The DP146 is a more aggressive version of the Model P, for sure. It has more bottom and less top, which is also what I like. The only thing missing is the P "thump", which is starting to look more like string choice than pickup. I have a set of Fender 9050M I can slap on to see if this is the case.

DiMarzio seems to be an orphan step-child when after market pickups are thought about. Everybody thinks Duncan, but the DM are really quite good. Plus, they all come standard for 4-wire series/parallel installation. This is a huge plus, IMO. Fender is now finally offering series/parallel switching in the new P bass.
  5. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    More aggressive than the Model P? The way you describe it sounds like it would be more balanced. I'm definitely interested in checking that out.

And after looking at the DiMarzio website, I'm getting a bit of "project GAS" so may just go whole hog and get the neck pickup too. My bass already has the routing but it's been empty for the last 20 years. And since I don't dig the black on black look, it'll give me a chance to get a new pickguard to hack up for the extra knobs and switches.
  6. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Totally agree about DiMarzios, they really do make some good pickups. I've got their UltraJazzes in my Jazz Bass, and a Model P and UltraJazz in a Fender American Precision... I love the sound of the Model P.

I played a Yamaha Attitude bass yesterday with thje DP146 and *loved* the sound. Very ballsy. One thing I love about the Model P is how it sounds for slapping (I love a good slapped P-bass tone... think Ready Freddy Washington with Anita Baker). I couldn't really try it out with the Yamaha due to the frikkin' subwoofer pickup getting in to the way... but any thoughts on how the DP146 sounds vs the Model P for slapping?