Funny bass story...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Mar 17, 2004.

1. So i went into one of the local shops today just to look at what they had in...well this place pretty much only stocks fender stuff but everynow and then they get some pretty cool used stuff in....

well I was playing a Fender Highway 1 jazz (not a bad sounding bass) and one of the workers came up and said "can I help you find something"...I told him that I was mostly looking for higher end basses like Modulus,Fodera,Ken Smith...and he said "Have you tried the Fender Squiers, I'd bet that thats just what you're looking for"

I just held in a laugh and smiled...oh when guitarists try to sell you a bass...tsk tsk tsk :)
  2. That's almost cute. I've got nothing against squires, but the price is one decimal point in the wrong direction from what you were looking for...
  3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Should have played along and when you saw the price on the squire said something to the effect of "Wow, only $200 bucks? Here I was all ready to drop $2000.00 today on a bass until I saw these......On second thought nevermind I don't really like the color. See ya."

That'll drive them nuts and make them cry. :D :bawl:
  4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I had a similar experience in Guitar Center recently. I was looking at the Fender bass display when a young salesman asked if he could help me. I told him I was looking for a 5-string Jazz Bass, and he said he didn't think they'd ever had a 5-string Jazz Bass in the store.

I haven't owned a Fender bass in a long time, so I asked (in all seriousness) if he could tell me what the differences were between the various models of Jazz Basses. He said: "Well, there's the Jazz Bass and the P-Bass, but that's pretty much it". I explained that Fender made several different levels of Jazz Basses, some passive, and some with active preamps. He was sure that the only way to get an active preamp in a Jazz Bass was to special order it through the Custom Shop.
  5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
  6. I have worked in retail before, and it taught me a thing or two. One of the most important things I learnt was that if you don't know the answer to a question, or you are unsure about something that a customer asks you, be honest and tell them that you don't know. Then ask them what they know, then endeavour to find out the truth for them. There is nothing worse than assuming the customer knows less than you, then finding out you were very, very wrong.
  7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Lord, if I worked in a music store I would atleast do some reading and talk to other people about instrument types I'm not familiar with (drums, keyboards) so I wouldn't come off like a complete idiot.
  8. Yaw

Feb 5, 2004
    Being a woman, I always -and I mean ALWAYS- get the following when I browse for basses: "This is a great bass for beginners ma'am!" (*whips out Squier/Samick/OLP*) :mad:

("Nah, I'm looking for a passive P-J configuration and a neck that doesn't look like a baseball bat. But thanks anyway, really") :D