1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Funny bridge on a Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skyblue977, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Hi All, I've come across a Stingray I think I'm interested in however it has a funny looking bridge arrangement. Are these piezos or just some bodgie mods? The seller is a pawn shop so they claim they don't know.
    254732897_tp.

2. ^those are string mutes.They shorten the sustain your bass has so its more thumpy,upright sounding.

3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    yep!

4. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    The angle of the saddles looks off to me.

5. +1 my E string saddle was a bit off but all 4 of those saddles look off.

6. That bridge was diassembled and who ever forgot where the strings were fed through and where the screws for the saddles went through. If you like the bass just switch each one, and you'll be good;)

7. Looks like you may have to rearrange the saddles too, some of those look switched too.:eyebrow: It'll be a neat little puzzle for you to get it back to where it should be.:ninja::atoz:

8. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ya that looks like an original bridge w/ mutes (not a mod).

if the price is right id say u should buy it assuming it's in playing order

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Funny looking??? To me the newer bridges are the funny looking ones.

The mutes adjust up and down by turning the thumbscrews. You can have no muting, a little bit or alot of muting.

DSC01358.

DSC02819.

10. Thanks All, I should have known what they were- I think I was a bit confused with the misaligned saddles.

11. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    if you do buy it take the saddle off and look on the underside of each one, they should be numbered 1-4 for each string 1= g 2= d etc so putting them back the right way will be a doddle.

12. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    This very minute dozens of Stingray owners are loosing their strings, flipping the saddle over and going "well I'll be damned...."

13. LOL! It seems you're right!

I'm always amazed how many people improvise themselves repairsman or luthier while they don't know what they're doing at all. :D

14. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Yep, it's an original MM bridge as Leo Fender and Forrest White designed it to be.

jte

15. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    If you flip the saddles you may have to flip the screws in them as well. You should be in good shape then.