1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Funny "buff guys play bass" story...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by kesslari, May 7, 2010.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Back in the day (late 1980'1) I used to hit the weights pretty hard, and was significantly bigger than I am now. Not huge, but bigger. I was living in Venice CA and training at Gold's Gym (it was a few blocks from my house) - THE Gold's Gym, where all the bigtime pro bodybuilders trained.

When I graduated Musician's Institute I stayed in LA, had a gig teaching there for the summer session, and was gigging with some of the instructors. For the opening night of every semester they would do a faculty concert to really wow the students. I was on the gig playing fusion with this really amazing guitarist from Hawaii, Wes Matsuda, with Gary Garbatini on drums. Anyway, Wes was a tiny cat - 5'1", and probably 100 lbs soaking wet. So next to him I must have looked pretty big (at 5'11''), especially to someone looking up at a 4 foot high stage at from the audience. We do the concert, and it goes really well.

Next day I'm at the gym, and this freaking enormous guy comes up to me. Huge as in he literally played Conan at Universal Studios tour. He looks at me and says "um... did you play a concert at Musician's Institute last night?" I say yeah, and he says the usual about great show, etc... then he says "you look, um, different"... I ask what he means, and he hems and haws, doesn't really want to say. I push, because I'm curious.
    Finally he says, "man, last night I thought you were HUGE, I thought Jesus Christ, Lou Ferrigno has a brother who plays bass..."

I know, no pics, no buff bassist, I don't have many photos from back then but here's one. Different guitarist (also a brilliant player - Marcus Deml).

[​IMG]

2. Nah dude you look good... bass is supposed to have more muscle!!!

I too find out that I am one of the only musicians around who likes to hit the weights. Im 6-0" and 220bs..... I play next to a guy who is about 4" shorter and at least 70 lbs lighter than me.

Cant wait to see those pictures :)

3. Great story..thanks for sharing.

4. Ha....that's a funny story. I get the "buff bass player" comments too; what people don't know is, it's all fat. :p

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Heh, You're wearing the "gun show" shirt too ;)

6. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Reminds me of the last couple of times I saw Savoy Brown. The bassplayer (can't remember his name, but awesome bassist and super cool guy) was f'ing huge compared to the rest of the band! His biceps were probably the size of my head.

Also, he played a Lakland that sounded like God. Just FYI. :D

7. Is that a Fishbone shirt, or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Years ago I noticed that bassists were usually bigger guys than everyone but drummers - I've always figured it was the mass of the gear we had to schlep, but might also be the attraction to *big* notes...

9. Porkbun

Porkbun

Mar 10, 2010
    Stamford, CT
    Yeah that sounds about right :p

10. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Great thread !!!! See you all at the gym, I 'll be the one curling 100lb. dumb-bells. :cool:

11. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Anyone up for some 12oz curls? :D

12. That always reminds me of those Michael Polinko Bowflex commercials.

For some reason when I think of stereotypes, the bass player is either the buffest or the fattest person in the band. I'm neither usually.

13. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Yeah, I was young and into it... :D

Hard to remember, it was close to 20 years ago. Probably not, but I'm not positive. It was black, I can tell you that...

14. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I'm not big by body builder standards, in fact, I'm just a skinny guy... but I hit the weights on a weekly basis as a strategy to stave off the effects of old age.

Attached Files:

15. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I also work as a lifeguard. It's a requirement to look good.

16. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm a buffed bass player.
    You can say I'm quite polished.

17. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Is anyone else puzzled that the super body builder was at a fusion gig??

Great story btw, pics from down in the seats would've been gold.

18. at least certain parts of you are............

19. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    He was an incoming student - bodybuilder-guitarist. Nice guy, too.
    I WISH I had photos of that gig, especially from the audience perspective. As I said, Wes (the guitarist) was a tiny, tiny guy. Brilliant guitar player.

20. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    He looks bigger than you in that pic.

:bag: