Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funny, but true.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I was in Jersey Guitar and Bass (a great store in NJ) the other day while someone was checking out a $5,600 Fodera, seriously trying to decide on whether to purchase it or not. Someone else in the store said, "Damn! $5,600! To me, that's a great bass, and amp, and a car to carry them around with. A really good car at that."

PS. I said to the guy, "You must have a real job." He didn't. He was a music teacher, said he saves for things he really wants. God bless him. Can't see myself ever doin that.

2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Great Store, My 2 warwicks came from Jay. Great selection, nice guy. Although, he won't cut you a deal for spit. I live about 30 minutes south of there.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Pfft.. Pocket change.. I just bought five warwifoderestebalembics the other day at 250,000$ each. Then I bought myself mansion for my parrot.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, I don't think I could just set 5000+ on the table and walk away with one bass.

5. I sure could.

If I was a millionaire or something

6. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I save to get my stuff, if I want it bad enough I'll find a way to get it. For that money, I'd get a custom bass though.

7. Yeah, like a custom Fodera.

8. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Ahhh... so not true. One must be very practiced in the art of getting deals however. I got my training from Maggio Music here in Bklyn. That's like the equivalent of having a Harvard degree in haggling.

I got my MM Sterling for $995, tax included. I just got a Cort Curbo 5 (used, but mint condition) for $275.

A few things I've learned that rarely fail - Although I got thrown out of Royal Music once :ninja: . Know what the absolute best price available anywhere is for the bass wanted. Have the exact amount of cash you are willing to pay (and not a penny more) in your pocket. Be totally willing to walk out the door without the bass if they won't give you the price you want. Mr. Maggio taught me that he can smell money - and he can smell when someone's going to walk out or not. It's true. After years in the business, if they're any good they know who's buying, who's not, who's gonna find a better price, etc.

Jay is a really nice guy. I think he's a good business person also. He called Sam Ash for me the other day and waited on hold till he found out if they had a specific book I was looking for. That's good business IMO.

I'd like to add that I don't enjoy fighting for the best possible price, but I do it now cuz I have to. If I had money to burn I'd tip these guys for being really personable and sticking it out in this corporate nightmare we call... forget it, don't want to turn this thread political. :)

9. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Money is relative.

If someone makes $25,000 a year, then they probably shouldn't be buying a $5,000 Fodera. Even then, if they can justify that much money to themselves, and get it without taking food off the table then more power to them.. I've given up some things to save for gear before.. nothing major.. I've learned to eat leftovers instead of buying lunch everday.. I don't always like it, but I do it..

If someone makes $250,000 a year, then it's like $500 bucks would be to the other guy.. This guy still has to justify it to himself..

10. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I left by my own free will, vowing never to go back. Hate that place.

11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Care to share that story?

12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I don't remember the details, but I remember that this guy could NOT smell my money. They were giving me the best price for the Sterling, before I went to Jersey G & B. I asked the guy if he had the Sterling with a maple neck, and he told sure. I wanted to try it. He asked if I was going to buy it. I told him, possibly, but I had to try it first. He told me if I liked the bass I was playing (with the rosewood neck) he'd just put a maple neck on it, that they were interchangeable. ???? I told him that was aburd? He grabbed the bass out of my hands and told me to get out. I remember asking if he were serious or not. He got really upset and said, "I want you out of my store." Didn't quite get where he was coming from, but it was obvious I rubbed him the wrong way. I wrote and mailed them a letter thanking them for leading me to much better deal, and much nicer people. The guy died shortly after that, I think from a heart attack - go figure.

The funniest thing about it all was that royal music has 2 stores - I had the problem in the Rockaway store. The guy from the other store told me if there was a bass I liked in the Rockaway store (they had more Sterlings there) to pick it out and he'd have it sent to his store where I could buy it at the same price. Silliness. Of course I couldn't or wouldn't go back into the other store to pick one out. They treated me nicely in the second store. Even though the guy is dead from the Rockaway store, I would never set foot in that place again. The other people there didn't fall far from the owner's tree.

13. I could do it!
    Actually, it would took me two years of working during school holidays! But If I want it, I can do it!

It would be great a Fodera, but don't know if it's a bass for me, I mean my level and my style!

Vince