1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Funny CL Response

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by officialjlox, May 7, 2010.

1. So I re-listed an old "bassist for hire" craigslist ad from a while back because I'm really not satisfied with the originals band I'm working with. Lots of talk and in-studio jamming, nothing else. They are/did serve as great experience and have given me an avenue to play often since my cover band only rehearses once a week and is just starting to gig.

Anyway, this is the post I listed:

Within 10 minutes I had two responses, one of which I'm pretty stoked about, and the other was this:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was possible to be open minded and versatile without wanting to be in a hardcore band? :rolleyes:

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    No, if you dont like hardcore or metal you are a poser. That guy said so.

3. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    +1 :spit:

Just kidding :)

I think your ad depicts exactly what you want to do.

4. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Never underestimate the stupidity and hate that anonymous people on the internet are capable of.

5. Rob Lewis

Rob Lewis

Feb 23, 2006
    London
    Metal=w*****s

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I suppose he felt that you were dissing metal (etc) because you capitalized NEED NOT APPLY, but whatever... I pity someone who gets so easily offended!

7. + a bigger number than I can think of right now in my slightly spannered state.

Don't give this fool a second thought. IME finding the right band is mostly about avoiding twats like this who think you should be grateful to be in their band.

You've stated exactly what you're looking for in your ad. What's wrong with that?

8. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
    Tell him you've changed your mind and that you'd like to now apply for a position is his band. Since they have shows ALMOST EVERY WEEKEND!
    I think it's funny to taunt those type of people.

9. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    Regardless if that guy who replied plays metal or polka, you did reveal yourself as a giant douchebag. You had it coming,

10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    This.

11. Is this a joke?

Why is it that in order to be diverse one has to be willing to play every single genre of music under the sun? If one was willing to play covers, originals, blues, rock, alternative, reggae, funk, hip hop, r and b, but NOT metal or hardcore they're not allowed to call themselves diverse? What would you call it?

It's not possible to have both an open mind and a strong idea of what you're looking for in a band? I'm willing to play nearly any kind of music, but I do have some exclusions. I don't see how that makes me a douchebag, closed minded or a poser.

Even if you can't admit that the above idea is ridiculous, why would someone who gigs "ALMOST EVERY WEEKEND" take the time to write me an email? What's the point? Am I going to cave, admit my hypocrisy and join his band? Or does he just have some time to kill before one of his epic gigs?

12. caasi91

caasi91

Sep 18, 2009
    SF Bay
    how much do you want to be that guy's metal band plays poser metal... he's the poser most likely. haha

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    To me, the ad comes off a little harsh unnecessarily.

I've found that things go easier if you soft pedal your writing on the interweb. Since there's no way to judge a lot of writing due to lack of verbal ques or body language, things go down a lot easier when your wording is more passive and list the things you want instead of what you don't want. You never know what you're going to run into that may be the perfect gig but you get bypassed due to the wording of your ad.

Here's an alternative wording you might consider:

I'm open to all forms of pop, rock, singer/songwriter, blues/rock, etc. except the following (no disrespect intended):

-hardcore/metal/punk bands
    -Tribute bands (except for xxxxxx, xxxxxxx, xxxxxxx, xxxxxxx)
    -bands who are "just getting started" or "almost ready to gig"

The following people NEED NOT APPLY:
    -druggie bands
    -unmotivated/unreliable musicians

14. Joe.shaffer

Joe.shaffer

Nov 25, 2008
    Cabot, AR
    I see nothing wrong with your post.

"almost every weekend" translates to the following "once in my friends basement like three years ago without a bass player and it was metal epicness"

15. I guess it was blunt, but that was sort of my intention. I've had ads up in the past that were worded a lot "softer" and wound up getting sandbagged into auditions that I would've wanted nothing to do with in an ideal situation.

For example I had a post looking for an "established" cover band, and wound up joining the one I'm in now. They apparently thought "established" referred to the lineup of members, not the current lineup of gigs.

I had a similar post and wound up talking with some guys in an originals project that I'm still in, but very frustrated with, and what was billed as a diverse, experimental rock band turned out to be a tool cover band (basically).

I guess I am just frustrated with my current situation and that came out in the wording, but at this point I'd almost rather piss off the wrong people than put myself in this situation again.

16. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Yep, I know how you feel. But you may come off too strong or possibly as someone hard to deal with, especially for a gigging/working band that needs to replace a long time member.

Maybe toning down your ad in certain respects may get you what you want sooner rather than later. :bassist:

Good luck.

17. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 A little bit of attitude is fine, but too much might be a put off. If you put up an ad, you are going to have to deal with inappropriate replies... that is just the nature of the beast :atoz:

18. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    My neighbour's 15 year old spends all day making rude and bogus replies to craigslist ads. He thinks its hilarious and isn't sophisticated enough to understand what he's doing...

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes. He deserves to die. (Rationale copped from another thread.)

20. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    No ad will be well received by each and every person who reads it.