Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funny D'Addario E-string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Average_AL, Jan 13, 2002.

1. hi all,
    i've just strung up my bass with a new set o' d'addario nickel rounds (45-105), but after tuning them up and playing on them for a while i noticed my E-string produced a very very funny tone. I dismissed this to the fact of them being new and not 'worn-in' enough, but a week and a bit on, they still sound funny.
    The e seems to produce a natural chorus/flanger sound (especially high up the neck). Although this may sound cool, it is unfortunately not what i wanted. The low notes sound dark and weird and the high ones sound chorus'd.

Any advice/suggestions?:confused: I've heard of people on TB sending strings back, but Im all the way over here in england.

cheers all

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The first thing I would try is to loosen the string, pull it back through the bridge, and make sure it's not twisted at all. Then bring it back up to tension, making sure again that it has no lateral twists. A string that has lateral tension on it can produce the sound you describe.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Check your pickup height.A pickup that sits too close to the string can make that sound you describe,because the pickup's magnetic pull on the string may be too strong.

(Anyone here that has a Fender Jazz,play the E string above the 14th fret and youll know what I mean)