Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funny drummer story

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ksukev, Oct 9, 2004.

1. ksukev

ksukev

Aug 24, 2004
    Kansas
    I was playing a gig in Kearney, NE last weekend. I play in a contemporary country band that at the end of the night will pull out anything from John Mayer, 3rd Eye Blind, or Escape Club, etc... We're dong the last song of the night, ending with a huge bang at the end (we ALL know about the huge ending, right?) Well, all eyes are on the drummer as he raises his sticks high in the air, leans back for the huge barrage he's about to put on his drums. In the act of leaning back, two screws at the front of his drum throne pull out, sending him into a big "Nestea Plunge" into all the light cable rolled behind his riser. All eyes, my bands and the crowds were on him. I couldn't stand up I was laughing soo damn hard, as were my other fellows bandmates. Needless to say, the last note was never played. Damn, I can still see his face a week later...too funny.

Kev

2. That's a trick you should rehearse for future concerts! I mean, hey, you avoided the cheezy ending and probably got an even bigger response from the audience. They'll be talking about it...

3. HEHE

You should renaim this post from "Funny Drummer Story" to, "Clutsy Drummer Story."

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    That's awesome..............
    the only thing that would make that a better story is if it happened to a lead singer. :D

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    thats great. lol.
    very similar situation, i was playing with my first band and the drummer told me before the show in an off hand manner that his throne wasnt getting traction on the stage and he had to keep adjusting it. so about half way through the set we were rocking out and the people were jumping and moshing all of a sudden there are no drums. we on the front line just looked at each other really puzzled, then turned in unison to see what was going on behind us...no drummer. he had fallen 4 feet off the back of the stage in the middle of a song, because the edge was so close to where his throne was.
    after determining that he was ok, the singer made a comment to the crowd that crowd surfing was allowed only on the FRONT side of the stage and we finished out the show.,

ahh....good times...good times

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    actually one of the coolest thing like that i've seen was caught on video some 18 years ago. A speed metal band i knew were playing as a local club, the lead guitar player was soloing and did some sort of jump and slipped on his back - without missing a beat he started doing hammer ons and raised his right arm to signal he was ok - the crowd went nuts, he got a hand up from the singer and finished the song with no screw ups.

7. Does this count
    It was a Friday night the crowd were pumping ( packed dance floor ) we were a Five piece ( Drums,bass,gat,keys,sax,and lead singer as well as all of us doing BVs although the keys were sequenced ) anyway we were in the middle of our 3rd set ( We play 4 sets 45 mins each with a 15 min break Btween sets ) suddenly a strange odur was present Yep you guessed it someone passed wind or in simple terms someone FARTED
    But it was the kind of silent type one because noone said anything anyway I was giving my Lead singer the look ( Also cursing him in my mind ) since I thought he was the culprit then suddenly halfway thru the song the drums cut out we all looked back with astonishment to find him running towards the Loo and at that moment everyone of us Laughed because we all were thinking the same thing as to who dunnit.
    Poor Drummer he came back red in the face and owned up to us saying Im never eating baked beans again :D

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep, I had a similar one. We were covering "Highway Star" in a crowded club and this drunk chick stumbled into me. I fell backwards across a monitor and wound up flat on my back, and played the rest of the song that way. Never missed a note. Definitely a crowd pleaser! :)

But we're talking about drummers. We played a gig at a local club with a raised stage about a year ago. There was one of those long shop-style power strips directly underneath the riser, and no one seemed to know about it. Well, the drummer kicked over one of the beers he likes to keep hidden behind the kit, and it dripped into the power strip. Apparently it wasn't enough to blow the breakers, but the lights and the amps started doing some really wierd stuff. People thought it was part of the show, and they loved it. Till the owner came over and told us it was the last song in the set. The crowd started to boo him, 'cause they thought he was shutting us down. Usually that happens 'cause we're too loud or something. :)

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Jace reminds me of another story. One night the band i was in begins the second set with "honky tonk woman". Opens on the repeating G chord i belive thill the vocals kick in. We were a 2 drummer band back then and no one seemed to notice that drummer # 1 was MIA. Of course he sang lead in the song. Turns out he was just finishing up taking a hell of a dump. We played that G chord 157 times till he came trotting up red in the face and smelling just wonderful.

10. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    kearney eh?!