Funny fretless story...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Geroi Asfalta, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    OK, so I found it funny, you may not....

One of my friends is trying to learn bass. He brought me along to Sam Ash to help him pick out a cheap bass in his price range (he ended up with an affinity Jazz).

Looking through all the random basses, one of them is the VM fretless Jaco knockoff jazz bass. I start to really get into the bass on one of the amps for a few minutes, then hand it over to him to see if he'd be interested in fretless.

He turns it down, passes it back to me, and I get back into it, have fun, spend maybe 5 minutes randomly jamming as he looks around. He comes up to me and says..."You and your bass of doom!! You are a crazy person..."

In response, the only thing I could say is "What did you call it?" He looks at me, and says "You and that bass of doom....you are a madman"

I start laughing uncontrollably. I had to explain to him that he labelled the fretless the bass of doom, and explain to him the origin of the real Bass of Doom. Funny moment....

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Our lead guitarist plays bass on one of our songs. I play primarily on a 5string fretless that is unlined.
    I hand her my bass to play the song... does not go well. Luckily I was using a 4 string fretted as a backup, and for that Drop D song.
    I hope she can adjust when I get my lined 4 string fretless set up again. at least theres lines.

Cool story, though!

3. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Nice compliment!