Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funny how things change...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jobu3, Jun 12, 2005.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I have increasigly less and less free time. I have a new job that I love but am still getting used to which taking up quite a bit of time. I have a new part-time business opening that keeps getting pushed back and back (should now be opening around August 1st.) I'm looking at getting engaged (also kept getting pushed back because of my girlfriend's health and job issues that just are starting to get resolved) and we have been looking at lots to build on. All of this has been pretty stressful and very time consuming. I don't see an end near in sight to be honest. We'll also have all the usual wedding arrangements to make post-engagement.

I just sold off my bigger Schroeder/EA rig that I was absolutely enamored with and am trading down to a mid-size combo. I barely have time to casually play by myself, do some serious practicing, or pack everything up to go play with others even for fun. Sometimes just taking the basses out of their cases and carrying them into the music room to plug in seems to be too much work. I guess my priorities and responsibilities are different now. When I sold the rig, the thought did cross my mind to put it all up for sale and get a more modest set up... I've had this thought before and it always made me shudder. This time it didn't. I even considered not even doing that and being bassless. :eek: :eyebrow:

Now I don't need or want to be convinced to go in one direction or the other... I'm more just stating that I'm not really sure where I'm heading right now and was wondering if any of you guys have been there and done that and what came of it. I love music very much and especially love bass as I have for a long time. If I gave it up I'm pretty sure it would be a temporary sabatical that I could always and eventually would return to... A small part of me is sad even thinking about this. Then another part of me really isn't. :meh:

Thoughts? :confused:

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The pendulum swings.....

Pretty soon you'll be back to playing the bass again, and then you'll wish you had your rig back.

Trust me, been there done that. :D

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    +1!

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Yeah, you're right. I miss the tone of that rig already but it was overkill. I don't think I could sell my single-cut either... I got a smoking deal on the combo that's on the way. I couldn't have done any better than that really... (thanks, James!) And it should be more than enough volume and tone for anything I might have up and coming should an open night and the right situation arise.

5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

hang in there Joe , most of us have been thru times when
    we wondered if we could get along without the bass .

best of luck with your future business and the approaching
    wedding .

hope all of this works out for you , and then maybe you'll
    find time to pick up the bass again ...