Funny performance at a church

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by complexprocess, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Don't usually post in here, but I thought I'd tell this story that I just remembered. On with the tale.

The church that I went to as a kid always hosts a halloween party for the community with games for kids and whatnot. (ironic that they support the pagan holiday, but it's just to do something nice for the community. That's not the point of the story though.)

Anyway, my brother was playing with his band, doing mostly covers. He only sang for one song, "Do what you want" by Bad Religion, which he chose because it was short and sounded cool. He thought ahead and made sure to censor out the word "ass", but didn't think much about the rest of the lyrics. Amusingly, one part he didn't think to change was the lyric "I'll believe in God when 1 and 1 are 5," which he sung happily about 5 feet from where the minister stands while he preaches every sunday!

Fortunately no harm was done. No one was really listening and if "The Big Guy" heard, he would know that nothing was meant by it; just an innocent cover.
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Doh. But "innocent" cover? Don't you know there's no such thing? Just ask Tipper Gore. :D
  3. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY no secular music at my church, in which I could care less because wlel, I stopped listining to it anyways...
  4. Why not play Apologetix covers then? :)

Wait, that'd be playing covers of parody songs. Okay...

EDIT: Apologetix = really funny Christian band that only plays parody songs of popular tunes. They're sort of like the Christian Weird Al Yankovic.
  5. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.

As in "Pour some sugar on me" becomes "Learn some Deuteronomy" :D
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh, but don't you worry! God was listening, and it's going on your permanent record.
  7. "All the... stalls stink."

They do a lot of Smashmouth, too. I just like it because they do songs that everyone has heard before.
  8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    At my church we use to have a week night service were we would play songs that went with the theme of the service. Well one service we had was on manageing your finances. So we opeoned with Pink Floyd Money as an instrumental and then for the offering we did Spinal Taps "Gimme some Money" with the big screen behind us playing the video. The scarry part we started and ended in perfect sinc with the video!
  9. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Haha, Apologetix...good times.
  10. Man, you're brother has some pretty decent bragging rights for pulling that in a church!
  11. what no big bottoms? :D
  12. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    "bad religon" at a about sacrilege
  13. yeah I was thinking that myself. Why would you play BR in church period?
  14. We had a gig in a church once. we set the drum kit up infront of this huge stone throne thing and used it as the drum stool. then we went home to get some food and our guitarist managed to rip open his finger whilst fiddling with a mic stand so in the end we never played but the drum throne look awesome...... shame. :bawl:
  15. Yeah, they weren't really thinking. They just liked the music and never gave a thought to the lyrics or the name of the band.

Fun story, all the same. I need to get practicing, so I can start generating my own stories. :D
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Like the time we played "Trashy Women" at a wedding reception. At least we didn't play "You Oughtta Know."