Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funny Questions here....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Brendan, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was practicing today...and the strangest thing happened. I was sitting down, with my fingers on the strings, talking, and my voice came outta my amp. I turned up the gain a bit, and tried again, and it was a bit louded. Put my chin/throat on the upper horn, and it was then a little clearer...what causes this? It's and Ibanez GSR 200 (I know, I know...)? P- all the way up, tone about halfway, J at about three quarters...(if that matters)

2. umm, what were the voices saying?

3. Your voice vibrates the strings.

Chris

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You have microphonic pickups. I don't know how to explain why they do what they're doing, but that's what the problem is.

Will C.:cool:

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Micorphonic pups? Never heard of it...and on a stock Ibanez? Is that like a cheap way around decent pups, or what?

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Microphonic pickups are something you see in a lot of cheap basses, because (obviously) they're very cheap. I wouldn't worry to much about it if you liked the tone you get thus far.

Just don't talk about the well-endowed blone girl in the front row at your next gig, eh?

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Good call Angus!:D

8. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Hmmm...I have that same bass, but not that problem.

Can anyone give him (and me) advice on either upgrading the pickups, or pick up a new bass? I personally like Ibanez, but I know this one is the bottom of the barrel. Would it be more appropriate to upgrade the pups, or just trade for a new bass?

9. I would worry about it. If the pups are microphonic and you turn the mids up to be heard at high volume, the bass will start squealing like a pig.

Pickups go microphonic when the coil winding loosens. If the thing isn't wound properly in the first place, I guess it would be microphonic from the word go.

If you like the bass, upgrading the pups is sensible. Lots of PJ sets around.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

ASR - Considering what that bass costs, (about $200?), and what just the cost of good P & J replacements alone would cost, (installation not even factored in), it would be foolish, IMO, to put them on the GSR200. It would definitely make it better, but it's still like having a trash can silverplated. The other components of the bass simply won't allow all the best traits of the high-end pickups to surface.

Take a look in the "Gear" section of www.bassplayer.com and first look at "Choosing the Right Pickup" (I think it's called), and then "J Pickup Shootout". That will compare lots of different makes and models for you. Also, www.kingbass.com/pickups.html reviews several as well as different onboards.

Although the costs shown are "list," real world costs may persuade you to look for a new instrument.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=15268

For this price, you can't do much better.

Will C.:cool:

12. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    guess I'll go over to the "basses" threads and look at some ideas about picking up a new bass. I got that one because I wanted to learn while I was a lead guitarist, then we lost one guitarist, and the new one we picked up was better than me, and since we lost our bassist too, I was promoted to bass player.