Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funny quote's from music shop's

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Victor Wooten98, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Here is this one...

ME; "Do you have any Lakland basses? I couldent find any and I was wondering if you had one in the back or something."

Store guy; "Lakland? I think you would be better off buying a name brand like Ibanez or epiphone"

ME; "well what other basses do you carry?"

Store guy; "Only the Best brand's I can find, I carry Ibanez, Epiphone, and the cheaper Fender's"

ME; "No Music Man????? Why only the 'cheaper' fenders?"

Store guy; "Hahaha, Wow, you must be new... Dont you know that Music man only have One pickup and are way over priced? Ohh and the Fenders all look the same, There is no difference at all so why get the more expensive one?"

ME; :meh: You GOT to be Joking?

Store Guy; "I know quality when I see it, and I dont see it when The bass only has ONE pickup"

ME; ............. ok.............

That was some stupid place in Nevada, Cant remember the name, but it should be gone now.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    HAHAHA.....
    I dont have anything like that. I dont talk to the people in the shops i go to. I look around, if i dont see a bass, i assume they dont have it.

3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    thats really pthetic, i went into a music shop recently, its only opened, and to be fair the guy is generally into his acoustic guitars, i asked him about bass cabs and head and he didnt know what i was talking about, but at least he got out a book that he gets supplies from and showed me what he could get into the shop, he also took down all the info i had on the cab and head and asked me to come in closer to xmass, so ok he didnt know anything really, but at leats he made an effort.

4. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Did he have any P-Basses in the store?

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    :eek:
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

6. I drove about an hour to music store I hadn't been to before. They supposedly had a decent selection, and even though they didn't have the amps in stock that they had told me they had, I still liked the basses.

The employees who played guitar were all busy helping guitarists on the other side of the store, so the drum guy kept coming over to assist me. He told me he owned a few guitars he bought on discount from the store and had tried some of the basses, but didn't know much about them. This didn't stop his recommendations. He kept ranting about how good that one Peavy modeling amp was and insisted I try it, despite the fact that I have no use for that.
    "Stu Hamm did a clinic in here a couple of months ago; he sounded amazing on this thing!"

As if he'd probably sound bad on something else anyway. Then the drummer guy started talking about basses. I began playing a fretless and commented that I liked it.
    Him: "Oh, yeah, I like playing fretless basses too. You can't hit a wrong note on them!"

7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    VW98, I dealt with a similar situation a few months ago. I was looking at a Fender Jazz Deluxe and the salesman asked me if I was familiar with Fender. I said I was and that my first bass was a MIM Precision, which I still used regularly. I then told him my next bass was going to be either an American-made Fender or a Musicman Stingray. He told me I'd probably be better off going with the Jazz, because Fenders really hold their resale value. "Yeah, those Musicmans really depreciate fast!"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Silly salesmen.

8. The infamous

"Yeah, we'll have that by the end of the week."

I once ordered a Runyon metal mouthpiece for my Tenor sax and had to wait #@$(*& 3 months!!

9. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Me: do you have any 6 or 7 strings in stock I could try out?

Salesman: no, there isn't any market for those tenor instruments.

Me: :rolleyes:

10. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Haha, No P-basses either.

Sad shop :( , but like I said

"It should be gone now" :D

But god man I still cant believe that one...

"Hahaha, Wow, you must be new... Dont you know that Music man only have One pickup" :confused:

Pretty funny though.

I got another... (different store, Southern California about a year ago)

ME: "Dont you carry any 5 or six string basses?"

Store guy: "... There is no such thing as a 6 string bass, only guitars have six strings..."

LMAO, I just left after that...

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Questions I get asked while working at Guitar Ceneter more than you'd believe:

Do you guys sell picks here?

Do you guys sell strings here?

Things Ive heard once or twice at Guitar Center:

(While standing in front of a wall of Mesa Boogies)
    -Where are your amps?

(After buying something "handed over cash, recipt in hand")
    -Do you think you could bring down the price a bit?

(After buying VERY expensive guitar (PRS, high end Les Paul) amp etc...)
    -Can you give a me a break on the price for these picks/ strings?

And this one is from today:

Two young (17-19) dudes are in the store one is buying a Mesa Boogie half stack (Dual Rectifier and cab I believe) and he says to the other....

-How messed up is that? What a F#$% up world when I cant get financial aide for college?!
    -Yeah dude, messed up.

Peace
    Nick

12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Ah, buyer's remorse. I don't think I've ever heard of it striking so quickly though.

13. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I had to return to Guitar Center 3 times because the guy there kept giving me the wrong adaptor. He refused to believe there was such a thing as a power adaptor that outputs AC. Until he found one. My fault for going there in the first place.

14. Wow, this thread brings up memories for lots of us... :meh: In my 19 years of playing:

I recall buying my first bass from a guy named Frank. He was genuinely knowledgable and was looking out for my best interest.

Same goes for a guy named Randy who sold me my first gigworthy bass amp.

Same for Steve who I bought my mixer from (currently used to mix my band).

And for Greg and Bob at the second hand shop, who I deal with frequently to this day.

Unfortunately, aside from those five listed, in the last 19 years the umpteen hundred other transactions, serious inquiries and purchases were from sales folk who obviously didn't have their facts straight, or didn't give a crap at all. (sigh)

:meh:

15. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Good Times.

16. I recall in guitar center, when I was with a buddy looking at bass cabinets, and we asked about what the ohms rating on a specific cab was, and the salesman asked me:

"What's ohms?

I laughed, and realized thank goodness this is the competition... (I work in an independant store).

FishBulb

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Wow. I've had the EXACT same thing happen twice, with two different salesmen at the same store.

18. "What is the resistance rating on this cab?"

"don't know, but it is loud!"

:)

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Funny you guys mention the Ohms thing.

Ive become the unofficial tube amp hookup inspector.

Of course you want to hook upo as many cabs as you can to one head to show off its potential, but you wanna mke sure you do it right. I noticed a couple of the heads that they had to send in for repairs werent hooked up right so I showed them what was up and so far no more problems.

That being said, I could still use help.

Peace
    Nick