Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funny rhymes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Nov 7, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

OK, I don't know if that's the right title for this thread. The thing is, there are some examples of famous songs from which you can replace part of the lyric for another completely different one, but metrically and phonetically fit the song perfectly and sometimes result in a funny line. Language differences don't matter. There's a VERY famous example in Spanish with Air Supply's "Making Love Out Of Nothing At All" when the singer says "Out Of Nothing At All" and the chorus replies "Making Love!". Here's the line along with the replacement (I've put this as an attached image because TB message formatting doesn't allow me to align the words the way I want. Caps denote each word):

[​IMG]

As you can see, the Spanish lyrics have nothing to do with the original ones, but you can sing them along with the recording and, at first listening, they sound exactly the same. People who have never heard this before always crack up when someone sings it like that. Can you name other similar examples? :)

2. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Well, there's that line from Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds:

"The girl with colitis goes by..."

Is that what you mean?

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Yes! I think it rhymes with "The girl with kaleidoscope eyes"? :D

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

I've just found this word "booger" (which I didn't know) that seems more appropriate for the translation...

5. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Another one, from the Beatles' "Michelle":

"sont des mots qui vont tres bien ensemble, tres bien ensemble" becomes "Sunday monkey won't play piano songs, play piano songs."

Although that one isn't really funny in itself, doesn't make complete grammatical sense, and probably fits more into the category of misheard lyrics (often called "Mondegreens". There are several Mondegreen websites and that's where I found that one).

6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Well if you're talking about phonetic replacement, there are quite a few flash movies out (animutations) that enjoy taking Japanese songs, and subtitling the lyrics with what the original words *sound like* in English.

Best example I can think of is "We Drink Ritalin" from DDR-whatever-edition. (The original lyric there is actually the English words "wishing, revealing", but it's a Japanese song nonetheless.) Google it and the increasingly bizarre "Hyakugojyuuichi" for fun with Japanese-to-English phonetic anti-translation.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Stevie Ray Vaughn, Tight Rope:

Can't catch a turtle ...

Cat got your turtle ...