Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

funny sitiuation at local music store!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    my best friend was trying to buy a wah pedal 2 weeks ago..
    so he picks up the crybaby and hes like.. im getting this one.. so the sales guy at mars goes "oh you dont want that one.. You want this danelectro wah over here(the one that looks like the car) and brett is like "well i really like this one.. ive had my eye on it for about 3 months now" and the salesman is like "well this wah is cooler.. it has wheels!"
    I kid you not.. i was there.. :D :p
    so he eventually he bought the crybaby... and he talked me into buying some picks even though i mostly play fingerstyle. oh well.. they were only a dollar for a 12 pack.. on sale and everything..
    "well bassist should use picks.. paul mcartney did"
    :D :D :D oh well.. we all aren't perfect..
    I was going to say though "well did jaco play with a pic?" but figuring this old guy he would prolly either say "Jaco who?" or "yes he did.."

also while i was there I was playing a spector 4 and some kid came up to me and was like "you must not be that good.. you play 4 string." and im like "yeah? tell me about it" and hes like "okay.. Feildy plays a 5".. i could hear brett laughing over there in the corner. I say "oh yeah? thats cool" and i keep on playing and the kids prolly 17 or 18 and hes like "yeah he slaps dawg.. nobody can do what he does on bass".. im like.. "have you ever heard of John Turner?" and hes like.. "no" and i said "well.. he plays a 7 string bass" and hes like "NO WAY DAWG.. 5 strings are about the most you can have on bass man! and Dood~! if you have more than 5... its just an electric guitar!!"

life in the fast lane.. =D

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    you seem to enjoy the company of idiots.

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yeah, i would hate to be around people like that...

you seem to enjoy it though.

4. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    well.. ive learned to enjoy it..
    because once i move.. i doubt i will have the joy of experiencing sheer stupidity at its finest. :(
    oh well..
    thats Mississippi for ya.. well north mississippi.. :rolleyes:
    my g/f might get mad over that cause she comes from biloxi but shes pretty smart .. and the school grade average down there is higher than memphis city schools or desoto, tate or panola county schools... soo. oh well.. im moving out in 2 years...
    a snobby nice gated community where nothing but jazz musicians and judges live... =D

5. Wow. People on the toke and people on the take. Pretty cool neighborhood.:D

Rock on
    Eric

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    lemmie use my psycic memphian abilities and say that happened at MARS memphis.

Welcome to memphis folks were family trees dont branch

7. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    As much as I'd love to laugh at what the stupid kid said, I must say this...
    I used to work at GC. EVERY kid was that kid! EVERY DAY FOR 2 YEARS!

(I swear, if I hear anyone half-a$$ their way thru Higher Ground, Anesthesia, or Schism again... I'm going to SNAP :mad: )

8. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    rojo..hah
    good man...
    I already snap when i hear somebody halfass anything..
    I know about the schism thing..
    kevin cates.. woohoo..that dude that i got in a fight with.. yeah
    "YO DAWG I CAN PLAY SKIZEM"
    He.. doesn't play the open notes
    and he plays justj the fingered notes. . and it sounds like.. like a walking-A$$

Gah.. i hate that kid.. what a ... *cant say because someone might get offendend by "homophobic" comment.* heh..

as for pulling teeth... he couldn't play that if his life depended on it.. well.. without tripping over his fingers
    he once told me that "incubus had the best bass player and had the hardest 'lines'".. muhaha..
    Im like.. well i could prolly figure it out.. i play alot of classical and alot of jazz.. and hes like "this aint no jazz.. this is harder than jazz.. this is like.. slappity whappity type stuff..... hes almost as good as feildy"

9. aragorn

aragorn

Aug 31, 2002
    I would have had to give both of those guys a nice hard smack across the face.:D

10. I hear that!

I'd probably be very much like the guy in your avatar. :D

11. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I hear you. It seems almost all beginner kids do that when trying out basses! Personally I think tried-and-true root bashing is much less annoying, and would also make it less apparent that they suck.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Precisely why I usually just muck about at music stores. Playing songs can quickly grate a person's nerves..

13. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    lol, i thought the bass part was funnier.

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Everyone knows Dawg that if you play on a 4-string you suck.. No contest. Victor wooten and Marcus Miller ain't got crap on my 5-string skillz yo :D

15. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I'm going to a guitar store tomorrow to look at a Fender Jazz....I hope some more punks(the punk looking/listening kids, I mean) are in there. I shocked them by playing double-stops on a P-bass. I wish there were cool punks near me. :(

16. DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWRRRGGG :rolleyes:

17. OOoooooooooooowwwwwwwww!!!

That sounded a bit like a country song.

Do your ears hang low, do they wabble too and fro? ... :rolleyes:

18. What I hate is the people who come in with NO knowledge about instruments, including their own. Now, granted, when you start off you don't know everything there is to know, but you should know some basic things, like WHETHER IT'S AN ACOUSTIC OR AN ELECTRIC!!! I had some dumb kid walk up to me today to buy strings. I aske him, will these be electric or acoutis strings? He didn't know. When I pressed him about what kind of guitar he had (it was his guitar) he said he didn't know. "Is it a large body or a small body?" "What do you mean?"

:mad:

He toldme he had been playing for several months. Yeah, right.:rolleyes:

::sighs::

Oh well. He was one kid out of something like 1500 :)eek:!) who rolled through our store today. I'll forget about him tomorrow.

Rock on
    Eric

19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I have off on Wednesday. I think I'm gonna go to my local music supermarket and bug the regulars. You know "Gavin," from The Kids In The Hall? That's gonna be me!

"Um, this one time, my friend played a song and it sounded like Fieldy and it rocked! Can you do that? Fie-e-e-e-e-e-e-eldy!"