1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Funny stuff done in the name of defence....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marlat, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    THe idea that the SAS may be parachuting German Shepherds out of planes with camera's attached to their head got me thinking. We should start a thread of all the random cool things that you have heard about being proposed (or actually done) by the armies of the world.

A couple of my favourites are without a doubt, Project X-Ray and the "gay bomb":

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_bomb

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_bomb

BUt there has to be more awesome stories of weird stuff that armies have tried in the name of defence. I know for example, there was all the fake inflatable tanks and landing boats used in the UK for the purposes of fooling the German's prior to the start of WWII and the dead body that they used for the same purpose (the name of the operation with the dead body escapes me). But post anythinkg else amusing you can find or remember.

2. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
  3. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    distant early warning

4. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    I've got a good one (it's court defense, not national defense or anything)

5. Catapults firing rotting animals over castle walls seems kind of funny. Not that I would be on the receiving end of course :D I guess that's assault not defense though :confused: Still Monty Pythonishly funny :D

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Taunting is funny.

7. Nah, for it to be Monty Pythonishly funny it needs to be living animals (and it would be in the name of defense!) :p

8. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader" Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
  9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
  10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I can think of a few well-known political figures I'd like to drop out of planes. Many improvements would result.

(Feel free to imagine any names you wish - this post fits all political persuasions!)

11. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    The beloved United States Navy did do some research on using the Frisbee hand thrown disc as model platform for some form of delivery system back around the time of the Viet Nam War. I guess it proved it to be a failure. I wonder if they came up with any really cool hi-tech Frisbee launchers.

12. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm reminded of a WWII story (that may not be true), to the effect that the Nazis once constructed a dummy airfield entirely out of wood. According to the story, the RAF acknowledged this by dropping a large wooden bomb on it.

13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    That was early biological warfare - lots of germs in rotting diseased animals.
    Hornet hives and baskets of snakes were also launched from catapults, as far back as ancient Greece. I'd hate to see a misfire... :D

There was also a plan to drop foot long condoms over North Vietnam, in packages labled "Made in USA, size Medium". I think it was called "Operation Penis Envy"

Another was a plan to use some kind of powder to get Fidel Castro's beard to fall out...

14. I read that the United States tried to kill Castro with an exploding cigar.

15. I heard that the the united states military tried to develop and perfect a bullet made entirely out of ice- for assasinations. The bullet would proposedly melt inside the body and leave no trace. instead it vaporized every time the powder ignited.

O.O what if you used a pressurized air system? no heat, high speeds... Hmm...

16. Your right, the cow flying over the wall, MOOOING loudly, LOL!!

Or........I FART IN YOUR GENERAL DIRECTION!!! :spit:

17. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    BUSH!!!

Sorry.

18. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    You ain't the only one sorry about that... ;)

19. ice bullet anyone? :smug:

kiddin o'course

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021