Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funny stuff with sound levels and stomp boxes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DeadPoet, Aug 27, 2005.

1. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    hi,

A little intro: My chain usually is: bass -> boss tu-2 -> one or more stomp boxes (-> D.I. if PA wants to use theirs, otherwise my amp's di) ->amp.
    I use Boss's 9V adapters and a DC-cable-splitter-thingie from Boss as well, most pedals powered from the TU-2, cables are planet waves and brandless molded plug patch cables

This has been working for me for years at +150gigs/year. I do not have a pedalboard because I play a lot of different types of gigs.

One concert a few days ago I'm using a BDDI as only stompbox after the tuner when all of a sudden i accidently kick out the power of the BDDI without knowing (luckily this happens 1 bar before a 16bar bass break pfew). I quickly pull out the audio cable from the BDDI and continue the show with just bass -> cable -> amp.

Now comes the curiousity: my sound changed completely!! Clearer, more punch and more volume !!

I did some non-scientific testing today and found something really strange: I have a mixing desk that is capable of sending a 1kHz and a 10kHz signal out (i know, not really bass-frequencies), so i decide to test all my cables and effects. All cables test normal, no differences in level.

And now it comes: when testing all my stomp boxes (2x TU-2, 1x Boss line selector, a BDDI, an EBS black octaver and a Dunlop white wah) they all test fine EXCEPT the TU-2's. They read 3dB softer than the rest (tested with two identical Boss 9V adapters) !

Did some more testing and the strangest is: when i have this chain:
    oscillator -> cable -> TU-2 -> cable -> mixingdeskline input to meterbridge
    I read 3dB down, and when having this one:
    osc -> cable -> TU-2 -> patchcable->any stompbox -> cable -> mixing deskn
    it reads back normal (0dB)

Now, HOW IN EARTH's name could this relate to the impression of increased tone i had earlier ??? And why isn't the TU-2 true bypass ???

sorry for the long post and i hope someone understands what I'm trying to write in a non-native language ;) ;)

Herwig

2. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Bizzare! Only suggestion I can make is to get your tuner out of the signal chain. I use an ernie ball vp junior volume pedal which has a dedicated tuner output so the tuner is no longer between the bass and the amp. Well built and very useful playing live too, don't know how I used to get by without one.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The increased tone is because unless your effects are true bypass (which I'd bet not all of them are), the signal goes through their electronics all the time. This drastically cuts down on the extra punch and clarity you got when you went straight in. The same thing happened to me once, and I was so amazed at the difference that I stopped using effects except for a compressor.

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    i recomen you use the tuner in the parallel out of the sansamp, the tuner is not there tyo work on your sound, so puting it in the moddle of the chain is actually not a good idea: that why some amps have "tuner out"

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Tuner out! ARRRRGGGGHHHH! I hate tuner out on my SWR SM-500. When I used an SVT 3 Pro, you had a mute switch you could hit to tune silently. The SWR doesn't have one. You can turn off your speakers but you can't turn off your DI. How stupid is that? Now I just unplug from the amp and plug into the tuner. Sucks to do it but at least it's quiet.

6. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Try using an MXR Micro Amp at the end of your effects signal chain to get your level back up.

7. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    I found out since the first post that most Boss pedals aren't true bypass (1Mohm buffer) which might be nice for guitar (read passive circuitry) players, but will not help me with active basses..

I couldn't find if the boss ls-2 is true bypass or not, does anybody in here know ? If so, i could put my tuner and fx in one of its loops and just press two pedals if I need one effect :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Going the 'pedalboard with included true bypass effects loops' seems a bit over the top for what I need and expensive too. (as said, I don't always need effects when playing and not always the same ones for different bands/gigs)

Herwig

8. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    LS-2 is NOT true bypass..... but i cant notice any difference though.

you CAN put the tuner in 1 loop and your signal in other, it also has a function in wich with the pedal you select difference outputs, so maybe you dont have tu return and pass through more circuits.

the LS-2 is great for its versatility, you can do a lot of tricks with it, and its not THAT expensive.

9. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    I have an LS-2, indeed very versatile tool everyone should need (i double on upright, handy for those gigs)

I'll try putting everything in a loop of the LS-2 next weekend and will report on results.

Herwig