1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Funny thing about EBMM basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by solderjunkie, Nov 4, 2013.

1. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Jan 27, 2008
    Nashville TN
    Whenever someone has a Fender for a while, they've usually swapped the bridge, pickups, tuning machines, etc for some aftermarket or boutique hardware.

Nobody really does that to EBMM's, even though it's all very similar pieces.

I wonder why?

2. jfantuzzo

jfantuzzo

Feb 28, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Excellent observation ... Let the fighting begin!

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Just a guess, but I'll bet the type of mods you're referring to don't actually happen all that often on MIA Fenders, since those components are fairly high quality right from the factory - just like with an EBMM... Also, IME/IMO - there really aren't any aftermarket pups for EBMMs that are an improvement...

Just guesses - but that's my take on it, as a fan of both Fender and EBMM...

- georgestrings

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    +1.

There are no aftermarket bridges that I'm aware of.

5. Usually, people mod the lower end versions of Fenders. Squiers, MIMs, etc. MusicMan's lower end products get modded too, there just aren't as many floating around, so when you see a MM, it's likely a higher quality one, and therefore one that won't be modded. At least, that's what I've seen in my area.

6. And to this day, I only know of one replacement neck for MusicMan basses, and it'd be the same profile neck, so the replacement would be useless. MusicMan seems to have less aftermarket parts. (Sorry for the double post. Thought came to me as I published the last one!)

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Proprietary bridge, pickup, and pickguard shapes. Plus, they are patented so nobody can make direct replacements. You can't even buy a pickup or neck direct from Music Man without turning in your old one. Go to a website that sells pickups. You'll see 423 Jazz pickups and 0 Music Man pickups with their current 'ramp' shape.

8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I don't think the issue is direct replacements, but aftermarket improvements that drop in. Like Badass bridges, etc. I do see countless aftermarket MM pickups. Never hardware, though.

9. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Maybe because, unlike your average Fender bits, there really just is no way to improve EBMM pickups, bridges, or tuning machines.

10. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    Hey OP do you hang around with a guy name Ric5 ?

11. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Jan 27, 2008
    Nashville TN
    No, but I really admire his work :cool:

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    +1

EBMM basses are niche basses. In other words, you buy them to sound and play like EBMM basses. If you feel the need to mod the bass out of stock then you're likely buying the wrong bass from the get-go.

13. hairyhaw

hairyhaw Banned

Mar 23, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    The Fender bass designs are over half a century old - plenty scope in there for improvement.

MM's aren't a huge gap behind but enough to make right a lot of the original issues that generated a lot of the aftermarket parts.

14. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Different animals. Different circumstances.

Also, Fenders outnumber everyone else by 1000 to 1. That's where the market is.

15. 1. Most people don't swap their MIA Fender hardware.
    2. LOTS of people swap their electronics in their SBMM basses. Some go as far to swap the PoS SUB bridge for a Ray bridge.
    3. Fenders are a modder's delight! They can make the bass truly theirs. There are lots of parts available. EBMM doesn't have much for aftermarket because their basses have a lower market share.

It has nothing to do with the quality of what's already in the bass & more to do with a distinct sound & lack of swap options.

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Not in this shape you don't :)

[​IMG]

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Apparently you get thrown out of the "EBMM community" if you suggest that any of their basses could possibly need modding. As such, most users are probably too afraid to consider modification and have to wait for EBMM to bring out an official modified version (ie 2 pickup Ray, vintage Ray etc). :D

Seriously, as many have stated, the reason is that you aren't comaparing apples with apples. There are probably a very similar rate of mods made to off the sheld MIA Fenders as there are to off the shelf EBMMS. Of course, the Fenders outsell the EBMM's by a considerable margin so in terms of absolute numbers more Fenders will be modded.

18. True story, ironically i considered swapping the pickup in my mm before i sold it. The guys at the local music store were fighting over who could buy the stock pickup from me.

19. noiseguy

noiseguy

Apr 1, 2013
    Fenders/Squiers are like Harley Davidsons. There are lots of guitars out there, lots of aftermarket parts, and parts pretty much all interchange.

20. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    EBMM may be a niche market, but it's a pretty big niche market. If there was demand, some manufacturer would fill it. A 100% share of the EBMM hardware upgrade market is better than 1% of the Fender upgrade market. Fact is, pretty much no one feels the need or even the desire to swap out EBMM hardware, which speaks well for EBMM.