Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funny thing happened after my bass lesson

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Gabu, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yesterday I was driving home feeling good after a fun bass lesson. We had been fooling around with "Blue Monk" and a tune called "Blue Bossa". In any case, driving home I could still kind of hear the tunes in my head. So usually when I am driving I like to listen to music. I was flipping through the stations and ended up settling on a classical music station. As I was going through my standard rock stations they all just sounded so annoying to me.

Boy, that's never happened before. :D I seem to be back to normal now, but I swear I couldn't listen to rock after my lesson. My Teacher's evil jazz influence is taking it's toll!! :eek:

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Jeez, took you long enough to get here. How was the trip? I know some people take a while getting here, but the trip IS worth it. Did you stop for dinner or something?

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I've played that so many times, i don't think my basslines are original anymore...

4. Maybe it's a sign..........................

5. That's QUOTABLE

Yes, It is starting to creep in.

I reccomend posting this over in the Dark Castle, and see what kind of responses you get.

It's been played so many times, I don't think you CAN play an original bassline for it.:D

6. Who does the blue bossa line??

7. Blue Bossa is a jazz "Standard". Whenever cats get together to play tunes out of "the real book", Blue Bossa is one that almost always gets called. At least, in my experience. I'm sure that differs in other circles, but like I said, that has been my experience.

It's really very cool having a sort of standardized set of tunes. Which is not to say I've played the whole book. But it's enabled me to sit in with guys I've never met before. Guys from other countries, that didn't speak english. But, we kicked out Blue Bossa like we'd been playing together for years.

8. Thank's jazz should be my next step into my music life, that's funk, blue's and jazz. Cheer's i'll look out for that.

9. When my band has band practice on Saturdays and Tuesdays for about 5 hours, i cannot listen to metal for about a day afterwards. Talk about overload.

:D:D

Merls

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    E tu Brute?

Happens to me after shows.

11. Same with me...I can't handle listening to one more minute of crappy music after our practices.

:p

12. It's just all part of Jelly Roll Morton's plan for world domination.