Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funny thing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pc, Jan 20, 2001.

1. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC

On my today's bass lesson, my teacher came up with a J with Barts on it... I've always heard bartolinis were hot pickups, but the sound was warm, mellow sound.

It was not his axe, and he didn't know the pickup's model.

Does anyone have a clue?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Bartolini makes about a zillion different models. I'm sure that there are 'hot' sounding ones out there. Kinda like Seymour Duncan, Bill Bartolini makes a pickup for practically every application...

-robert

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Actually Barts are known for their smooth sound. EMGs are usually thought of as hot. There are exeptions of course.

4. The majority of Barts are smooth pups, and used in a passive setup, like a Jazz, that's what you get. But hook them to a Bart preamp and they change according to which preamp you use. Some of them can be "hot".

5. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Might be this... :p

I think the other barts I've played had preamps... All of them were crispy... This one was smoooth... I'm considering get some barts to my Squier fretless instead dimarzios dp123...

G.A.S.!!!! :D