1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Funny things that you or other bassists do!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ynie92992, Mar 15, 2008.

1. ynie92992

ynie92992

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    Post about the subject in the title. I like the severe case of bass face that Robert Trujillo gets during solos.

2. ynie92992

ynie92992

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    Also Victor Wooten gets a nice funky Bass Face.

3. Rickenbrad

Rickenbrad

Aug 13, 2007
    I laugh and point whenever someone in the band messes up
    I also laugh at our singer when she says "I'm So Horny" in Lithium

does that count?

4. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    My husband's bassist has broken his left pinkie about a jillion times. Its as crooked as a Hill Country road. Its been the subject of many jokes, and is well-known locally as The Bass Pinkie Of Doom.

Cherie

5. low-endz

low-endz

Dec 18, 2007
    Miami, FL.
    I find it funny that myself & most bassist I have met have openly admitted this....

..."Yeah I know I KNow. I am all Passion and ZERO talent."

And I have met some Groova'riffic Bassists since I started about 20 yrs ago

We are the humble folk on the stage huh

6. Wh4len

Wh4len

Sep 12, 2006
    Linkoping, Sweden
    I stand by the drummer i the rehersal space and fart my rotten farts and wave them at him ^^

7. i stand there with a dumb look on my face.

8. ste30

ste30

Apr 18, 2006
    Bassist from my old band - if he couldn't play a song (anything more difficult than Saw Her Standing There) he'd just play dead basic, and make the rest of the notes with his mouth. Together with bassface. This happened on far too many songs. Most memorable was Love Is The Law by Seahorses.

9. I'm the biggest guy in my band by about 40 pounds. We're pretty aggressive, but still kind of poppy, so we run around the stage and jump around a lot, and occasionally we'll have some collisions. Since he is unhindered by a bulky instrument, our lead singer (who I have a solid 60 pounds on) does more running around than the rest of us. If he runs into me, he pretty much just bounces off. Occasionally I'll watch for him coming and slam him across the stage on purpose. He joked about it a couple of weeks ago and my response was "That's just because you're the size of the average 12-year-old girl."

10. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006

hey my singer is the size of a 12 year old girl too!

I wipe my nose a lot, some one actually asked me after words if i had any coke left i could sell him :scowl:

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If a song is too slow, I'll nod my head at the tempo that it should be, and as always, the guitarist will think that I REALLY love the song, and I'm yelling at him, "No you moron! Speed it up!". My drummer gets it, but he always say to me, "Wouldn't it be easier just to tell them to pick it up, instead of the head nodding thing you do?" Everyone in the band gets it, except for the guitarist, but my God, is he a beast on guitar!

12. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    In one of my bands we have a song that's very groovy, very R&B influenced, and whenever we play it live my gui**** says I "stalk across the stage like a jungle cat" which is hilarious because I'm the biggest lug in the band by at least 80 pounds...

We're also prone to doing that whole stand face to face and rock out at each other thing, which has on more than one occasion ended in a few headbutts...

And finally, I have a bit of a stutter when I speak, and though it rarely ever comes out when I sing, there have been a couple occasions when it's happened. I'm backup vocals, but I do start off one song a cappella, and that's usually when it happens. Well, right around the second time or so (out of maybe 50 times singing it) my gui**** walks over to me as it's happening and starts miming yanking a cord on me like I was a lawnmower. I stop singing and start making noises like a motor turning over, then after about four pulls or so launch into it like nothing happened, and harmonies between me and him (luckily enough) have been dead on every time.

13. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    i laugh loudly and obnoxiously or scold my saxaphone player for every charlie parker quote that he pulls out of his ass. the kid's a genius because he can fit Nows The time (F7blues) over an Fmin7 chord, but i'm so sick of bird quotes i'm gonna kill him.

14. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I lick my finger every time I'm about to slap. Slick.

15. whenever i play on an open string and i don't need to be fretting a string for an immediately upcoming note, i just let my left arm dangle at my side until i need to fret a string again. i don't know why i do this. i guess maybe it just feels funny to be holding on to the neck for no reason.

16. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    I always scream with our singer even though I dont sing or I end up with my hat cocked to one side and my eyes closed. As you can see in these pics I always end up looking pretty dumb. :rollno:

View attachment 85561

View attachment 85563

17. I do that too

18. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Ditto. My gui**** gets annoyed when I do it though so I've taken to tapping the beat on top of the neck or on the top horn to give that hand something to do.

19. The only thing I can remember is when the cover band I was in were rehearsing Last Nite by The Strokes.

The singer wasn't present that day, so the rhythem guitarist was taking over singing.

The chorus in this song goes:

People they don't understand
    Your girlfriends they can't understand
    Your grandsons they won't understand
    on top of this, i ain't ever gonna understand

Since he hadn't really studied the lyrics too much, he came out with the lyric "My boyfriend doesn't understand". I ripped the **** out of him for a good few weeks over that :D

20. i lift one leg off the ground as high as possable and stand on the one leg swaying around off balance.

i'm prettymuch the odd one out being the youngest, smallest and the only non smoker.

the guitarists of the band look at me like..*** ARE YOU DOING!?

the drummer hardly realises.