Fur Elise.. Moonlight Sonata... What next?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rawgreenbean, Feb 27, 2005.

1. rawgreenbean

Dec 27, 2003
    So every now and then there is a person randomly talking about llearning Beethoven's Fur Elise on bass. And then there is the occasional person in favor of Moonlight Sonata (which i'm not really a fan of on bass). I've learned Fur Elsie pretty much, worked on Moonlight Sonata, and started working on Tchaikovsky's "Old French Song" last night, should be done in a day or two...

But anyways... people who play this kind of stuff on bass, what other songs do you play in a similar vein? I want to get some ideas for other songs to learn.

Also, If you have a video of yourself playing the song, can you post it? Here's my Fur Elise from awhile back before I had gotten really smooth.
  2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Hmm... Don't know if this is in a "similar veign" or not, but my favorite classical piece on bass is bach's cello suite number one. I've only got the first "movement" or whatever you call it done, but up to that point it is 42 bars of continuous sixteenth notes. It's a good one to impress those old band directors who think your just that rebel bass player from jazz band. I have a PDF of the sheet music that you can e-mail me for.

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    All the Bach pieces for solo cello are the bomb on the bass. Check em out, I think you'll dig it.
  4. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    there was a bach invention for piano that i learned the right hand part of. i found another bassist who coincidentally knew the left hand part. it was fun to play as a duo
  5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Stu Hamm has a cool recording of the "Moonlight Sonata" I'm learning it, SLOWLY (Two hand tapping ans odd finger positions) :bassist:
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Are you using the tab from the unofficial Stu Hamm site? The tab is awful. The notes are fine, but it has you doing all sorts of awkward positions. You need to play it more with a right-hand-doing-melody thing like a pianist would, rather than the terrible way they have it set up there.
  7. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    No I actually found it on power tab... Its all right handed as far as melody, and root notes are on the left, Its a real pain. But its fun to play!
  8. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'm actually juuuuust starting to get into this... can anyone point me to sheet music and/or tabs for any of the mentioned, or other, piece please? PM or e-mails work wonders :p thanks,

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Here's a real challenge: Chopin's "Minute Waltz".

Think you can do that on a bass? :D