1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Furman or monster

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fatsobasso, Dec 14, 2006.

1. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    I'm looking to add a power conditioner to my small gk1001rb2,shure ulx,rack.I have 200 bucks and the choice seems to be between these 2 Monster Power MP PRO 2500 or
    Furman PL-Plus II
    what do you guys think?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's worth searching on "power conditioner" here, there has been a ton of discussion. For me, considering I just think of it as a rackmount power strip, I like the Tripp-Lite IsoBar 12 or "12 Ultra". Lightweight, compact, and pro-quality. Oh, and cheaper than Monster or some Furmans.

3. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    doesn't matter. Go with Furman. The Monster company has a "sleazy", overcharge on everything, vibe to them.

4. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Why do you need one? Having pfoblems?

5. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Go with the Furmans.

I have a dozen or so in different racks and they work well. Save some money and buy the Merit series. They work well and don't cost that much. You won't notice any difference in your rack set up between the SPL series and the Merit series. I use a Merit series on my bass rig.

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    When I saw Furman and Monster in the same title I figured this was a thread about needless things.

7. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i have the furman and i'll tell you what (in hank hill voice), it's great. It's been helpful, and i haven't had a problem with it yet.

8. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I have the Monster, and from what I have seen, it dwarfs the Furman stuff. I can't go into a store and look at a Furman without something falling off of it - they just seem cheezy. The other thing that the Monster has that pushes the price up is fully sequenced power on and off - IE, the effects plugs come on 5 seconds before the amp, and the amp goes off first followed by the effects plugs 5 seconds later. Myself, I like just hitting one switch and letting the rack figure out how to power up . . . .

And I think the Monster may have better filtering - it is three different filter banks (one for each set of plugs) where I think the Furman's are just single. That way, if you have a "dirty" digital effect, it won't just couple back into your amp, as can happen on single filtered units.

But the Monster is more $$$ - so choose accordingly. But I would NOT call then equivalent under any circumstances.

- Tim

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    FWIW, the "Pro" line from Furman has the same features and qualities as the Monster, at a similar price point.

As has been pointed out here by the resident amp designers, though, any modern amp worth anything has already got plenty of power filtering built in. So external filters are only of benefit to older or more poorly-designed amps.

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Power "conditioners" are a waste of money.

11. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    thanks for the input guys.

12. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I picked up the Furman SPL series with the front rackmount lights... woulda gotten the Monster, except it didn't have the same pull out lights

13. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    sort of, anything over 200.00 is ridiculous, to me, their big plus is that you can just leave everything in your rack plugged in, and leave it alone. quicker setup and teardown time.

14. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I use the Monster 2500 more for the in-rack conveinience, and the power sequencing - I have always felt that the filtering was somewhat pointless. Surge protection and the volt meter have some merit though . . . yes, most amps have surge protection built in, but those parts tend to be sacrificial, and it won't work once they get used. Cheap to replace, but still SOL if they activate. At least with an external protector, if it goes, you can run the amp around it and still play . . . . .

- Tim

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I picked up a used Furman PL-Plus off Ebay for $60. It looks & functions like brand new.

16. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I'll be the first to admit that power conditioners are essentially rack-mounted power strips. However, my assertion is that a rack-mounted power strip is a good thing. Convenient, makes you only need to find one plug at the wall, and you always know just where it is. Plus, most of them have little dimmable lights that make your rig look cool.

Something that rarely comes up in these discussions, though, is the weight that a power conditioner adds to your rack. I have a PL-8 in mine, and it adds more than 10 pounds. If you have a lightweight head and a light-duty rack, your power conditioner could amount to a third or more of your total weight.

Although I do have a power conditioner in my rack at the moment, when I am setting up and tearing down, it occurs to me that a decent power strip in my gig bag would be providing the same benefit at a lower cost and would be much lighter.

17. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    WJ, you definitely owe it to yourself to check out that Tripp-Lite I mentioned. It has a (fairly tough) plastic housing and a very short depth.

18. I've never come across a power conditioner that does what I had hoped it would, namely filter out RF. I could be wrong here, but shouldn't it do that at least?

Voltage regulators on the other hand are worth the money, especially if you're playing horrible old clubs with horrible weak power, and especially if you have an enormous power amp, like a CA-9 or something.

19. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No. RFI stands for Radio Frequency Interference, it's source is environmental and it's transmitted just like any other radio signal, through the air. Your bass is the radio receiver. Nothing you do to your power supply can remove it. The next major source of noise is EMI, Electro Magnetic Interference, which also is airborne and goes right into your pickups no matter what you do to the AC supply. Shielding your pickups with five pounds of Mu-metal each would fix both problems, but the resulting hernia wouldn't be worth it.

20. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Just like the $4 powerboard I use.