1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Furman Power conditioner question.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by selfblessed, Mar 22, 2010.

1. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a rack of 6 pieces of recording equipment and a Furman power supply.

Is it ok to leave all the rack gear on and use the Furman as a main power switch?

For example. I walk in and power up the Furman...then all of the rack gear comes on. Then when I am done. I just turn the Furman off?

2. I'm also very curious about this, too, if anyone does this or knows if it's safe or not...

3. Yes and no.

Ideally, you should power up the first thing in the signal path, and then work down to the last thing, and then power off in reverse.
    You can get a power sequencer for this, that will power each piece of gear on in sequence.

OTOH, I have always turned all the equipment in my home studio on and off with a single power switch on one of my power conditioners, and never had any problems.
    It isn't the best thing for your gear, but it's usually ok to do it anyways.

4. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    OP, are you so lazy that you don't want to turn on a handful of rack items by themselves?

5. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

Ya....for the 2 extra seconds it takes I power everything off separetly and then my Fruman. Why take chances?

6. Fair point, but a lot of rack gear doesn't have on/off switches, or they are located on the back. I don't want to be unscrewing the back of the rack units every night :)

7. No theres nothing wrong with doing that to signal gear. And never mind people who cant figure out why you want to do what you want to ;)

Although it isnt advisied to turn on any power amplifier through a Power Conditioner. Leave the amps going strait into the wall

8. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I'll usually turn my poweramp off first, then preamp/tuner/effects off with the power conditioner.

9. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    MA - RT. 2
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY GENZLER DARKGLASS TEMPLEBOARDS KIRLIN CABLE RIGHTON STRAPS
    This ^^^

10. this is important...switching something in the chain with a power amp on can be a big problem

11. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    Yes you can do this.
    There is no risk.
    That is why you spent 100 bucks on a power conditioner.

12. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes I am lazy. ;)

Thanks for all of the responses. I figure its fine. But some times it is better to be safe than sorry.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Even if they are totally contradictory and unsubstantiated? :p

14. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Me too.

15. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    It's usually safe, unless you're running some powered speakers, which should always be on last and off first. There are sequencing supplies, too, which turn on each outlet one at a time.

16. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001

What HE said.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2020