Furman Power Conditioner/Tuner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jnprather, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with the new Furman Power Conditioner/Tuner unit. On paper it seems like a great unit and a pretty good bargain. I was wondering what the downsides would be with this unit as compared to seperate Power Conditioner/Tuner rack units. (i.e. features sacrificed or lower quality, etc.) FYI, I will be using this unit (or whatever I buy) in conjunction with an SWR SM-900...

Thanks in advance,

2. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    There is no downside. I love mine. The tuner is right on everytime and the conditioner is still top-o-the-line. And it saves a rack space. Its hot **** all the way!!!!
  3. I was also considering one too, however I was wondering what else they are useful for other than the tuner, rack light and making it easier only having to plug one plug in.

does the turner have a way to adjust it if you had to match the E with a keyboard?
  4. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    No, mine doesnt have a calibration button. If your keyboard is tuned properly then it should be fine.

Its great for a bass or guitar player to make sure you're in tune before a gig, and it has a MUTE button so you can check it as needed during the performance without making noise.

I think anyone with a rack case should have a power conditioner, so why not get one with a tuner. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
  5. penstock

Aug 10, 2000
    I know I love mine. It was well worth the money. The tuner is really accurate. The only downside is you can't tune from the other side of an arena like you could with a Korg, but to save a full rackspace, it is so worth it!
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    A power conditioner makes it so you only have to plug one plug in, but it also protects against power surges/voltage spikes. Something you shouldn't overlook considering how easily some audio equipment can be fried.
  7. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    My two cents -- I WISH I had gone with the combination tuner and power conditioner. I only bought the power conditioner.

Now I want a tuner, and I either gotta buy an outboard jobby, or take up another space in my rack with one.

Still like what it does for my sound, though -- in addition to surge protection, it really seems to clean out a lot of the junk out (hiss, crackle, pop, buzz).
  8. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I bought one a couple of months ago from Musicians Friend, and have been very happy with it. I am running it with a Hartke 5000 head, and the sound is still there. The only complaint I have is that it takes an inordinate amount of time for the tuner to catch a low B string, so if you are in a hurry, like tuning between songs, you have to make sure the intonation of your bass is dead on and then tune the 12th fret harmonic on the B string. Other than that, I would highly reccomend it.
  9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I agree with SilvermaneZ. I've had PL-Tuner since they first came out and have been real happy with the exception of the B-string tuning. Mine won't pick up the open B string at all, no matter how long I wait. Does just fine with the 12th fret harmonic, though.
  10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Let me bring this one back from the dead to ask:

Can you patch in to your tuner from the back of the Furman? It looks from the fuzzy pictures I've seen that you need to jack into the front of the conditioner/tuner, and then cable out from the front of the tuner to the input of your amp. I hope you can do the tuner-amp connection inside the rack...
  11. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Yep, that's the one drawback to the unit. You can't patch into the back. I just made a short patch cable with right-angle switchcraft connectors that I leave on the rig. The rack cover fits over it easily and a neat short cable isn't too bothersome. Otherwise I love the furman. As was commented on above the mute switch is great, especially for changing to a fretless for an occasional tune. The 12th fret harmonic tuning on the B-string is only a problem if your intonation isn't right on (as was also mentioned above), but then your intonation should always be right on!
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL

I wonder how hard it would be to pigtail in a shielded cable out that exits from the back. If you stay away from the AC, it shoudl work.