Furman power conditioners

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by KB, Jun 14, 2002.

1. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am considering getting a Furman power conditioner and basically what I am looking for it one with lights and the 8 outlets. I don't really need all the line voltage readouts, etc.
    I bascially have it narrowed down to the PL-8 and the RR15. What are the differences between the PL series and the Rackrider series (other than the fact that the RR series appear to be imported).
    The RR series is about 1/2 the price of the PL series. please advise on the differences and your thoughts on these models.

I currently plan to just plug my pedalboard and amp into it, but I might add something like a BBE in the future.

2. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I bought a PL-8 Plus about 3 mo. ago. I like having the voltage meter, & would strongly recomend it, esp. if you play different locations. Never know what kind of power you'll get in some places! Here's thier web site www.furmansound.com They can explain the differances better than I can. A lot of good info.:D
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I was going to get a power conditioner with a voltage meter, but then I wondered what good it would do me to know what the voltage is. For example, if I go to a gig where the voltage is a little low what difference does it make to me? It's not like I'm just gonna pack up and go home because the voltage isn't perfect. I'd rather just not know.

FWIW, I ended up with the RackRider RR-15. It's basically a glorified power strip with lights. I don't have any first hand experience with the Furman PL-8, but I imagine its pretty much the same, just built a little tougher.
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Furman PL-8 without the voltage meter. It's pretty plain lookin'. But, all it really is, is a fancy, rackmountable surge protector/power strip.

Several techies have told me that I could get the same exact thing in a $20 surge protector from ABC Hardware, if I didn't mind it not being rack mountable. And, to solve that, just bolt it to the inside of the rack case in the back.

Just another alternative.
  5. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a RR-15 too. As far as I'm concerened, all the power conditioners are glorified surge protectors, unless you get into those really big/expensive ones. I just wanted something with the extra outlets and lights, and the RR-15 fit my needs perfectly.
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Well, I liked the lights on the Furman, as opposed to having just a workaday power surge strip. I had it at the top of my rack and then it could light up the other units in my rack if I wanted them lit. I was surprised, however, that the light wasn't as strong as I figured it would be. I also liked that the light units slid in and out of the Furman, so that there was no danger of their getting knocked off when moving the equipemnt or when closing the lid of the rack case.

As for a voltage indicator, where I played in South America, this was a constant issue. At one gig, the power was so bad, my sound rig just shut down. I guess it had something in it to protect it when power got too low or maybe it just couldn't run. A friend saved me by running home and lending me his Trace Elliot combo unit that didn't make so much demand on the power. (We stacked it on top of my two cabs and it looked like I had a monster sound rig:D )
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I never use the pull-out lights in my PL8-plus. However the voltage meter *has* been useful on a number of occasions! They also look cool. :p
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I'm just wondering, how is the voltage meter useful? I understand it will show you what the voltage is, but once you know what the voltage coming out of the wall socket is, what can you do about it?
  9. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    furman makes a line regulator that will give you 117 volts or whatever no matter what's coming out of the wall outlet.

but then again it's 450 bucks. sounds like the way to go if you're really into it, and your amp is drawing that much power.
  10. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    If you get a low reading on one circuit, you know that circuit is too "busy". Try another circuit. Also, the meter tells you how much voltage you have as soon as you plug it in, BEFORE you turn on your $$$$$$$$$ equiptment and screw it to hell & back with TOO much power! Damn cheep insurance if you ask me. Like I said before, you never know what kind of power your pluggin' into when your playing out somewhere!
  11. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    The PL-8 Plus doesn't tell you how much power you are drawing, but how much power you are delivering or subjecting your eqipt. to.