1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Furman Pwr Cond.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toniwonkanobi, Sep 20, 2008.

1. toniwonkanobi

toniwonkanobi Supporting Member

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Endorsing: 1964 Ears, LLC.
    At what point (how many watts/cabs) should i worry about getting a furman? currently, i run a fusion 550 and neo 212. the fusion pushes 500 watts. Suggestions?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You should start thinking about getting a power conditioner when you have enough cords in your rack that require an outlet that it's more feasible than a power strip ;) That's what I did-mine has nifty lights and an outlet on the front as well. Otherwise, using a surge-protected power strip will do the same thing for you.

3. As a surge protector they are good but do a search and read the threads here... most really are NOT real power conditioners, just glorified power strips.

I have one in my rack with my 1001rbII just for peace of mind. I don't think $89 is too much money to lay down to protect a $500+ investment. If you gig in joints with horrible power you can do so with confidence.

4. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Gigging in joints with horrible power with a furman just means you will fry both. There is no voltage regulation in a Furman power conditioner just RFI/EMI filters and surge supressor and the surge does not come from the place you are playing . So a surge supperssor with filtering for 25-40 dollars will do just as much if not more than a furman. If you want to make sure you don't fry your valuable equiptment get a voltage regulator .

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    High quality gear has all the 'conditioning' you need built in.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't know about that- I find my amp sounds much better after applying a thick coat of Pantene Pro-V.

7. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

No, no, you slather that on your strings.

8. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

As for power (US only):

1. If the wiring is incorrect (e.g. missing grounds or backwards hot and neutral), nothing will fix that. An outlet tester will detect these wiring problems, and then you have to decide whether to accept the bad wiring.

2. Low voltage will never be improved by anything except a voltage regulator. As Bill implied, most modern amps will tolerate voltage sags up to a point. Amps with large power supplies will tolerate voltage swings better than compact amps with small supplies. (For example, an old SVT will do better than the compact MarkBass F1 or Eden WTX-260.)

3. High voltage is similarly tolerated by most equipment, and a regulator will accept up to about 140v.

4. Noise on the line is never reduced by simple surge protection, but often reduced or eliminated by a regulator.

5. Surges/spikes are handled by cheap surge strips as well as expensive regulators.

Carrying a $500/12pound regulator that can handle 90-140v is overkill unless you're a really big act.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It's not a matter of size, but that many of the newer amps have brownout protection, which shuts them down if the voltage gets too low.