Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

furman spb-8 powered pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by David Wilson, Oct 27, 2003.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Anyone using this one and care to comment?

http://www.furmansound.com/pro/pdlbrd/pdlbrd1.htm

I'm in a pedalboard quandry at the moment. I had the MPS powered PedalPad, which was great but too bulky / heavy for schlepping around the subway.

Right now I have a PedalTrain, which is great but it's just too small for me to handle all the pedals I use. Part of that reason is that the voodoo labs power supply isn't that small. So I either take the power supply off the pedalboard, or get another pedalboard with a built in power supply.

I looked at the SKB one, it seems a bit flimsy. The Furman SPB-8 with built in conditioned power supply looks very cool. And as it has some wall wart sockets, I could also conceivably power my amp off of it as well and not need a separate power conditioner.

Anyway, that's my thinking. Thoughts?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I don't own one, but the rumor mill says they are terrible. A reliability rating of "crap". This is just the general consensus I got locally, not my personal experience or any type of scientific poll. :D

3. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    hmmmmm, doesn't sound so good. I did read there could be some noise issues if you're using both regular post-guitar effects and effect loop effects.

Any other suggestions for a powered pedalboard round that same size (12"*24")? Please don't suggest the SKB :)

4. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    David,
    Have you considered checking out a custom set-up.
    Maybe these guys can help ... www.pedalboards.com

I have nothing to do with them, but it looks like they make pretty cool stuff.

Peace,
    Tony

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I gotta toss in my endorsement for nycpedalboards.com

They're high quality, inexpensive, and you can have one custom made any way you need it.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    bad dog, tplyons, thanks for the suggestions. nycpedalboards don't supply a powered board, but pedalboards.com does, I'll need to look into that.

In the meantime, I've decided to order the Furman anyway and see how it is - zzounds has a 30 day return policy.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ditto. I use one with the 1spot plug and extension.

www.nycpedalboards.com

8. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Just my 0.02

I own the Furman and have gigged out with it. It is a good board. I like having the conditioning and it is made very well. My problem lies in the transporting. It comes with a heavy duty duffle like material bag to put it in. Your pedals are not protected from travel bumps. It comes with velcro for the pedals but with them unprotected the pedals come off or the glue lets go of your pedal and the velcro stays on the baord.

I do not use the patch bay since I run most of my effects in series.

I may buy a NYC board and mount the Furman on it but have not gotten around to it.

Good luck

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    DRN,
    thanks very much for the input! I got one, haven't set it up yet. I have a 30 day return period, so I really can't gig out with it in case I don't like it so I think I'll just be using it at home while I try it out. The bag thing is a bit of a concern to me as well, I'll probably have to make a judgement call on that one.