Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Furniture finish

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by unoriginal, Feb 24, 2001.

1. unoriginal

unoriginal

Feb 23, 2001
    IA
    the finish on the fretboard is slowly going away. I just don't like looking at an unfinished fretboard. Is it ok to use furniture wood finish on the fretboard like Minwax or is there a specific finish for certain woods on the fretboard?

2. i have used lemon oil on my rosewood boards, but i am guessing you maybe talking maple.

what bass, what kind of finger board?

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'd stay away from Minwax, as it is a highly toxic substance. It's ok for bed frames and stuff that doesn't require much direct physical contact, but not for a musical instrument.

Will C.:cool:

4. bed frames don't require much physical contact?

hmm. :D

5. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, Gruff, people usually sleep on a mattress (or futon), not on a frame...

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

There is a wax that luthiers use named Trewax. It is actually a floor wax. It's available at hardware stores or where flooring is sold. It's important to get the reddish brown product as the lightest colors will leave white residue in the wood's pores. Trewax also has a website.

7. Oh, sorry BW, i didn't know we were talking about sleeping. :D

8. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California

I would ask, but I have a feeling I don't want to know the answer.:eek::oops::eek::oops:

9. unoriginal

unoriginal

Feb 23, 2001
    IA
    I'm talking about the mim Fender and the fretboard is rosewood. I guess i'll check in the basement to see if we have any floor finish left because we just had our floors done not too long ago. doesn't lemon oil just keep it from drying instead of a finish, which actually puts a protective layer on?
    Bedframes :eek: i'm too young to know about that all that jazz.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Better clean it up, guys. The TB "Welcome to our newest member" link says, "Jeff Berlin." His birthdate appears to be accurate.