1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Furniture polish on upright bass

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Hammertime3, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Hammertime3

Hammertime3

Apr 23, 2008
    Delaware
    I was talking to an old bass player friend of mine this morning and he mentioined that you should never put furniture polish on an upright bass. I never heard that before. Anything to it, or is it myth?

Bob

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Check Setup & Repair where this thread belongs. Not myth at all and depends on the polish. It's important not to let oils seep into seams and (and, on carved basses, cracks) as it can make repairs more difficult. The general rule is not to polish a bass very often and to be judicious about what you use.

3. Hammertime3

Hammertime3

Apr 23, 2008
    Delaware
    I'm pretty sure I put some on mine when I got it a couple of years ago. Does it ever go away? What do you use to remove it? It hasn't had any on for a good while now.

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I suggest that you not worry about it. :)

5. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    depends what sort of bass it is. If the bass is a chinese covered with a nice thick lacquer then any old furniture polish will likely do no harm if you don't get it into the seams or cracks.

Don't use a silicone based polish though. Something with natural oils and waxes should be fine.

If it is a quality bass with a nice varnish you might want to look at just cleaning it gently for starters.

Your American Standard would probably be fine with a judicious polish, usual caveats about getting it into seams etc. What's the varnish like? Looking matt/tired? Intact? Chipped? Clean?

6. JaminTravis

JaminTravis

Oct 6, 2012
    Technical Advisor, Zymol Music
    It is definitely true not to let straight oils into your finish, as they will penetrate into the wood and create unnatural, unwanted moisture, and we all know that's not something we want!

Such is not the case when oils are combined with other ingredients in such a way that they become more of a wax or a paste-like substance.

To answer your question, furniture polish is no bueno for your bass!