Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Furry basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blazer, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Okay I admit it, I was inspired by the sheeps' fluff Dean Z guitar and matching bass used by Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill in ZZ Top.

But when our leadsinger/Rythem guitarist asked me to modify three matching guitars so that our band would have a look, all that it took was a shopping spree to the nearest clothing supplies' shop.

and this was the result (i'm the one with the Kiss T-shirt playing the Hybrid fender strat (it has the body of a mid seventies strat and a 1989 neck) with the Kahler Whammy.

[​IMG]

But because this happens to be a bassplayers board, I feel obliged to include a picture of Mary our bassplayer with her early eighties Squier Bullet. That bass was a nightmare when I received it in my shop, it had a cracked headstock, the pickguard and pickup were AWOL and the frets were all torn out.

I re-fretted the neck, Glued new pieces of maple to what remained of the headstock applied strips of rosewood and spruce vineer to hide the glue joints and finally re-routed it to make it look like a Rickenbacker headstock.

I put in a dimarzio pickup, replaced the missing pickguard with a brushed aluminium one (not a total fit but it does the job) and she was overjoyed when I gave it back to her.

[​IMG]

Her only complaint was the fact that her agressive picking style leaves her shirts full of small pieces of Fluff.

2. nice. didn't you know leopard spots are cooler than tiger stripes, though? :)

robb.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Consiering the guitarists I've played with, flea & tick powder makes a nice gift.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Strangely enough, I think the P body - Ric headstock combo looks pretty good.

But the real question: what differences in sound have you found now the the body surfaces are damped?

5. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars

Considering the fact that the fabric of the fluff is is thin, the difference is easily taken for granted, it probably is the same degree that duck tape wrapped around your instrument makes.