1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Further Price Drop!! Sukop 4 string neck through $1199!!!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by phishaholik, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Now that I’m married and have three kids, I find myself having less and less time to play. I probably only get 15 minutes here or there to actually sit down and get some bass time in, so I’m letting most of my boutique basses go and just settling on a bass or two. My loss is your gain. I’ve spent years buying and playing basses and what I have left are the finest basses I’ve had the privilege to own.

Up for sale is a beautiful Sukop four string that is an absolute joy to play. It has a mahogany body with a nice, understated, maple top. The neck is flamed maple and cocobolo and the fretboard is a beautiful, thick ebony board. This bass is special, because more than a third of the neck is cocobolo, which is very uncommon for bass guitars.

Playability is second to none. Steve Sukop designs his basses to be as ergonomic as possible an this bass is a testament to that ideal. This bass has hands down, the fastest neck of any bass I’ve owned, including two Foderas. The Yin Yang I had gave it a run for its money, but the combination of a Jazz profile and the oil finish on the neck gives the Sukop the edge. The neck is nice and thin and I can pull off intricate lines much easier than other basses I’ve owned.

The body is curved front and back in accordance to the curve of the fretboard, so it just feels natural when playing it. This bass is also rare in that it has absolutely perfect balance on the strap as well as standing. I feel that this is a very important feature of a bass. I can just take my hands off of the bass whilst sitting and do other things and not have to worry about the bass going anywhere. It just feels like an extension of my body. It has zero neck dive while on a strap as well. The top horn extends far up the neck making first position an easy reach.

This bass weighs only 7.5 pounds and it has NO neck dive! The only basses I've ever owned that were this light had crazy neck dive to go with it.

Tonally, this bass reminds me of a MTD and I would have a hard time differentiating between the two if recorded. It has that midrange forward tone that MTD’s are known for. The neck pickup is in more of a precision location than a jazz and rolling the blend knob towards the neck pickup gives you a great, modern precision tone with some extra snap from the ebony board. The pickups are Bartolini humbuckers and it has a two band Bartolini preamp. The control cavity is fully shielded, making the bass dead quiet, as well as signed by Steve Sukop himself.

There are some small dings here or there and some finish wear, but nothing serious or very noticeable in my opinion. The bass has been played, but well taken care of.

Price: $1199 plus shipping in a nice Ernie Ball/Music Man hardshell case that is a lot like the newer Fender SKB cases.

This is absolute STEAL for a hand made boutique bass!!!!

Pictures are by previous owners. I'll take some of my own this weekend.

P1040869.

Sukop012.

Sukop012.

Sukop013.

P1040884.

P1040876.

Michael

2. Someone needs to buy this before I start spending money I don't have. Wow this is nice.

3. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Spending money you don't have never hurt anyone. ;-)

Michael

4. Famous Shamus

Famous Shamus Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    NYC
    Ok, folks this is about a ridiculous of a deal as you can get..steal this bass!

I owned this bass and can vouch for it. ( Some of those pics are from my armchair in my living room;) )Essentially, this was bought from Rudy's on 48th St. by a drummer friend of mine who never played it. I bought it off of him, and it was a dream.
    This was made when Steve Sukop was still making basses out of Pennsylvania...the body is a tad bit smaller than the Sukop 4 DC's Steve is making today.

The bass is just uber playable....light-weight, asymmetrical neck, great feel and sound. Sound wise, you can pop and slap, mellow out, or anything in between...a very versatile instrument here!

This is way underpriced...grab it before the seller comes to his senses

5. 52hurtz

52hurtz Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    D.C.
    I had an identical one in 5-string a while back. Not only do they play well, but sound fantastic.

6. drgroove111

drgroove111 Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Bump for a beautiful bass and fantastic builder! Correction though,....Steve lives in New Mexico and builds out of his shop at his residence... for what its worth. I spoke with him about 6 months ago.

7. Famous Shamus

Famous Shamus Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    NYC
    No correction necessary here:smug:.

From quote above "This was made when Steve Sukop was still making basses out of Pennsylvania"

This bass was made when Steve lived out here in PA before he moved to NM....for what it's worth.

Bump for a great bass!

8. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks Shamus, I hope you don't mind me using your pics.

He speaks the truth about this bass and his description is exactly how I would describe it. Just an all around great playing bass with a ton of tones available.

I love it and I wish I could keep it. Hell, even my wife wishes I could keep it. LOL :D

Michael

9. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    That is a ridiculous price. Free bump for a truly master-built instrument.

10. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I am currently on vacation on Ocracoke Island with my wife and kids. I'm returning messages as fast as I can, but please be patient if it takes me a day or two.

Thanks everyone!

Michael

11. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Any interest in a trade?

12. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I have a Spector Euro5LX 35" scale and a Spector Euro4TW 34"

13. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Sorry guys, but I can't take any trades right now. If I had the time to play bass more often, I would definitely keep it.

The bass has a 34" scale.

Thanks

Michael

14. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Bump

15. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Price Drop Bump: $1149!!!!!

Take advantage of this poor bastard.

Michael

16. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello Michael,

Amazing. Will you omit the case and lower the price a bit accordingly?

Omitting the case should lower the shipping cost by reducing size and weight.

Thanks!

Snaxster

P.S. - Disclosure: I cannot justify buying this bass now. But I might anyway. Sorry if that makes me a tire kicker! Hopefully this free bump makes it worth your while.

17. nat7

nat7

Jul 10, 2009
    Really nice bass!!! Did you get my pm?

18. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    WOW, What a deal! Sukop makes Amazing instruments.

19. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Hey man,

Sorry, I haven't forgotten about you. I just got back in town and I have to take some measurements and get a shipping quote.

Michael

20. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    bump

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.