Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fuse for GK1001 (540w version)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Does anyone know much about a replacement fuse and how easy it is to find the part locally? I popped it out and all it say is 250V T8 AL, it has a LF on it (which I think stands for Littlefuse company), and is about .75" long.

For those of you who are wondering, it is out of my amp. I have had it for well over 2 years with not even a hiccup. I left it in the truck overnight, and is is very cold outside. I brought it in, plugged it in, turned it on, and in around 2 minutes, the amp sent a large pop though my cab, and I lost all power. I should have let it warm up to room temp first. I learned my lesson.

I looked at every component I could see, and I didn't see anything wrong with anything beyond the fuse. I am going to replace the fuse and if that doesn't work, it's going to service.

Thanks,
    Wes

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, just make sure it is the same type. Fast blow or slow blow. You can get them at RadioShack. Just take the old one, and they'll get you a new one.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    What probably happened was there was "sweating" inside your amp since it had not yet warmed up, and it blew your fuse. Just take the old fuse to Radio Shack. They'll set you up for a dollar or two. Be sure to keep a spare or two on hand.

4. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks Eric, That was first only real plan as well, unless something better was suggested. It's the first (and last) time I didn't let the thing warm up to room temp first. I'll let you know how it goes! If that amp is toast, I'm still replacing it with another just like it, or the new one.
    Wes

5. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I went to Radio Shack. I purchased the highest amperage 5x20mm 250V fuse that they had. It is very close to the same physical demensions as what came out of the GK. It is a 6.3 Amp slow blow (270-1068). It's at most 1/16" shorter than the GK fuse, but looks like the same diameter. All I can assume is that the GK was an 8 amp, but who knows without getting ahold of a service tech who can set me straight. Anyone have the schematics and can help me out, that would be awesome. For now, I'm just going to see if I can get the amp to turn on so I know if I have bigger problems than a fuse.
    Thanks,
    Wes

6. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    The fuse wasn't the problem. I guess it's going to the doctor!

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    If Radio Shack doesn't have it, try an electronics, hardware, or automotive store.

If the fuse wasn't the exact same size with similar specs, and from your second to last post it appears it wasn't, then it still won't work. It would be like trying to put a small night-light bulb in the larger socket of a living room lamp. No contact means no juice running through it... No worky. :meh:

Perhaps it still is the fuse. :eyebrow:

8. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    There were two C prongs that held the end of the fuse tightly. The fuse is the same diameter as the old one, and the replacement fit just as snug as the old one. When I fired it up, there was a spark on the speakon connector from the inside of the amp. It's pretty much done for now.
    Wes

9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Yeah. Sparks are NEVER a good thing... :meh: :scowl:

10. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Ouch.

11. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    As far as I can tell, it's all my fault. It just gives me a reason to get another backup amp while I get this one fixed.

Wes