Fuse Mission

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by simpy1, May 20, 2005.

1. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Today I had the most awesome jam with my 3-piece jazz/funk band (drums, bass guitar) and it almost didn't happen at all...long-ish story ahead.....

I arrived to practice early, to try out my new 5-string as my amp was at their place. So Kane (guitarist) comes in and wants to start early with me, before our drummer gets home. We were all set up, all that was left was Kane's Vox wah...so he goes to plug the power supply into the 4-plug adapter and BANG...sparks everywhere, and my amp turns off. He thought he was going to die, hehe...

So I'm thinking it would be the fuse, and it was. It's pouring with rain, and 4.30pm on a friday. 30 mins until shops close, and the nearest electrical supplies shop is in the central city. We all know, 4.30pm is not the best time to attempt driving into the city. SO we try some crazy electrician's office near the house, and yes! They had some fuses...but rated at a lower ampage. Thought I'd try it anyway - went home, tried it, and it blew right away.

So we go driving around the outskirts of the city in peak traffic, in the rain, listening to the only CD that was in my car - Tom Waits, Bone Machine. We try a guitar shop ("sorry, we do guitars, not amps") and some other random shops, when we finally get directed to a nearby electrical supplies shop.

15 mins till closing time.

We drive towards it, and there's a traffic jam. We're about 1km away, and the traffic STOPS. So I drive into some side alley, and we sprint in the rain to this shop. We made it there - 5 mins till closing time. There's a sign on the door:

F***. But I saw someone in there...so I knocked. They obviously didn't want to open the door to two sodden scraggly musicians, but they did. And I begged. And we got the fuses....thanked them profusely, went back home, and were able to play! Awesome. Best jam ever. What a mission. Now at least I have a 5-pack so if it happens again I can fix the problem.....
  2. LittleJaco

Nov 4, 2004
    that was a close one
  3. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Heh, I was waiting for the first smartass....

I was bored.