Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fusion for Miles

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Just picked up the CD Fusion for Miles - A Guitar Tribute - A Bitchin' Brew, and Alphonso Johnson's playing and tone on it are incredible! Very good stuff. The rest of the band is: Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, Larry Goldings on Organ, Jeff Richman on guitar, Dave Liebman on sax. Then they have a guest guitarist sitting in on each song. They are as follows: Jimmy Herring, Eric Johnson, Mike Stern, Bill Frisell, Bill Connors, Pat Martino, Warren Haynes, Steve Kimmock, and Bireli Lagrene.

It is a real interesting mix of guitarists. It is kind of interesting to hear Eric Johnson and Warren Haynes doing this kind of stuff.

Oh, and did I mention that Alphonso Johnson burns on this thing!!!

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Were they playing Miles Davis songs? Or just songs that were inspired by Miles' fusion period?

3. They are doing Miles songs. There are alo similar CD's for John Coltrane and Mahavishnu Orchestra.

4. jimmy herring and warren haynes are incredible. i especially like them together, w/ phil & friends, for example. maybe i'll pick up a copy of this one.

5. Here's the list:
    Black Satin
    Splatch
    Jean Pierre
    So What
    Nefertiti
    Eighty One
    Serpents Tooth
    It's About That Time
    Back Seat Betty
    Spanish Key

6. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    If you like this, you should pick up Bitches' Brew (if of course you don't already have it)! Also great fusion albums from Miles are A Tribute to Jack Johnson (I believe Marcus Miller is on this one) and The Man With The Horn. Herbie Hancock and Joe Zawinal play on Bitches' Brew, and John McLaughlin is on B.B. and Jack Johnson. Killer stuff!

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I love Jimmy Herring's playing with Frogwings!

Sorry for the sideline :)

8. Already have 'em! That's why I thought this would be a good one to pick up.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Did Miles actually write any actual songs in this period....? :eyebrow:

And I don't count - two chords scribbled on a piece of paper five minutes before the session, in that definition....;)

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Not sure if you seriously want me to answer that or if you are just Bruce being Bruce. :D

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    MM played on Man with the Horn, but not on Tribute to Jack Johnson. It is not part of Miles' fusion period.

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Depends on your definition of fusion, I guess. I wouldn't get too locked into the idea of discrete fusion or nonfusion periods. Miles was mixing it up long before things like "On the Corner." Jack Johnson is pretty rocking; it sure isn't anything most of the jazzers at the time (or since, maybe) would call mainstream jazz. Sounds like jazz-rock fusion to me.

BTW, that was Michael Henderson playing bass on that record.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Well my view is that this period is all about throwing out "songs" and just blowing.....?

So I don't see that playing "songs" written by Miles is relavent in this context?

14. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Hmmm well when they were recording Kind of Blue, Miles had an idea for a tune (a few minutes before the session from what I remember reading) that would be something modal in D then shift a half step. Did Miles "write" So What? Just because he was wearing a suit doesnt make it more legitimate. :D

15. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - but by the time it comes to the fusion period - what I've read, seen in interviews etc. is that it was even less structured than that!!

So it was just a few brief comments from Miles or they would just start playing with no prior ideas - then albums like "In a Silent way" and "Bitches Brew" were edited together from these "jams" ...

The impression I get from watching the Isle of Wight DVD from this period is that live, they weren't even playing seperate pieces - they just got on and basically jammed continuously for the whole set, until it was time to get off!!

With Miles occasionally leading things through hand signals, gestures etc - but mostly just leading by what he played.

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Point taken.

It was my understanding that parts were semi-planned and through the use of signals (like you mentioned) Miles progressed the piece through the various sections. Of course, I could be wrong.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Exactly...that's why the 'brew' in Bitches Brew is a VERB!

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have heard a few call Jack Johnson[ the best Rock record ever.
    ...and how 'bout Michael Henderson's (in)famous flub?
    McLaughlin begins with a 'boogie' jam in "E" & modulates to "Bb"; Henderson, meanwhile, misses that & stays in "E". Miles hears this & doesn't stop the jam...instead he nudges Henderson into "Bb" by playing a "C#/Db" on his horn.
    (This anecdote can be read about in Paul Tingen's Electric Miles book...great read about that period of Miles' music, IMO).

19. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    That always cracks me up when I hear it. It's cool though--classic example of turning a mistake into music.

20. Cool, I love AJ, the other AJ. You might check out 'Mysterious Voyages a Tribute to Weather Report" also on Tone Center. 2 cds with 24 tracks. There are a bunch of great bass players including Marcus Miller, Armand Sabal-Leco, Gary Willis, Christian McBride, Kai Eckhardt, Matthew Garrison, Neil Stubenhouse and Lincoln Goines.