Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FUSION!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Nuk3m, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Hey guys,

Been into this style of jazz/rock fusion for a while (jens johansson, allan holdsworth and fredirk thordendal) and id like to start learning some. What would be some good stuff to start with? Preferable stuff with tabs or easy to do by ear.

I think im more inclined for the more modern sounding stuff.

Also anything i should know about this genre in respect to playing bass? Any new techniques i should learn?

Thanks for your time

Nukem:bassist:

2. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
  3. kenlacam

kenlacam

Nov 8, 2005
    akron, ohio
    I'd recomend "Modern Electric Bass" by Jaco Pastorius, an instructional dvd which really enlightened me to the wonderful world of punk jazz, with harmonics and melodic playing. I'd recomend any of his solo albums, or his work with Weather Report

4. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Alot of really good stuff is on that DVD. Also listen to some of the older stuff and get a handle of what they are emulating as far as melody goes. (seeing where the influence comes from is also important) That is helping me understand what is happening alot more than trying to examine stuff that might be a little TOO complex, such as Holdsworth. Miles is great as far as simplicity goes. Get Kind of Blue.