Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Futile Search for a Female Metal Vocalist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sanctum, Oct 1, 2002.

1. So my current band has been together nearly six months now, and its one of the best outfits I've ever been involved with. We're all roughly the same age (early 30's), come from the same music background (80's thrash/speed/death metal and stuff like that onward), we've been writing great together, sound great, get along great ......

We had the drummers roommate singing for the first 2 months, and he really blew, so he was out. We decided it would be great to have a female vocalist. We forgot we live in the midwest - I'm telling you, its been rough. Only one real prospect in months, and she's too (shy or afraid or self-conscious) to really belt anything out. I've always loved strong female vocalists - everyone from Wendy O. Williams to Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy. Not that we want that particular sound ..... just something decent and strong.

Hell, this area is so lame even the ad we put up for male vocalists yield little results, with most guys wanting to scream like SLipNOT or gurgle death metal style. Its frustrating to say the least.

my Point? dont have one .... i guess one of us will sing for awhile so we can get out of our practice space. unless someone out there knows a great female vocalist who will re-locate to St. Louis. Its cheap to live here!!!

</vent>

2. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I hear you, man. The progressive metal band I was in a couple of years ago had a heck of a time finding a decent vocalist. We finally picked the lesser of a bunch of evils and went with him.

At our shows, everybody always commented on how great we were instrumentally, but nobody had anything good to say about the vocals. We actually had a female try out, but let's just say. . .

Nowadays, it's almost impossible to find a metal vocalist who can sing different styles well. Good luck!

3. I know exactly what you mean Sanctum. I was in a band a few months ago that wanted a girl like Kimberly Goss from Sinergy or Cristina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil, but we had absolutely no luck finding anything close to that.

We did have a girl singing for us who had a great attitude and loved being on stage, but was very inconsistent with her singing. There were many times we were ready to give her the boot, only to have her come to rehearsal and blow us away. She must have known she was on the chopping block sometimes.

I know it's a pain, but stick with it. Like PolkaHero said, there aren't many metal vocalists out there who can really sing different styles, but they are out there.

4. Thanks for the encouragement! I wish we could find a girl who even wanted to be on stage! And so we push on .....

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Miscellaneous.

6. I live in the STL area. I'll keep an eye out for you. Let me know if there are other requirements you have for the vocalist.

7. So at practice tonite the band decides to put off the singer search for now so we can finish putting our set together and get playing out. I've been singing at practices for timings sake (and I wrote most of the lyrics), and they all asked me to sing. I never thought of myself as a frontman, and to be quite honest, its nerve wracking thinking about it. But I said ok, I'll give it my best. Hope I dont space out on lyrics during the first show.

Yes, I still get to play bass too :)

8. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    That's exactly how it happened with me! Use cheat sheets if you have to. You'll probably find you'll be more "marketable" down the road if you do more than "just" play bass...;)

9. sushi & cigarettes! Love that. I spent 4 months in Japan in '95 - one of my fav places on earth (someday I'll play Budokan :) My brother still lives there.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I love to practice so this just adds to my routine. Should be fun, which is why I'm in this racket anyhow.